Do toe clips exist to fit Wellgo pedals or should I swap pedals?

I would like to fit toe clips to my Carerra Kraken bike but they have Wellgo pedals that will not allow conventional toe clips to be fitted unless the pedals are swapped over (left for right, which means they will untighten).

The pedals look like B087 Flat Grippy Platform Cycle Bike Pedal Mountain Hybrid 9/16" Thread (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D8XCHLG/?coliid=I36BC4IJRO8K11&colid=3RF1L3IS5KV2L&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it). They have WK79 stamped on them, if that helps with identification.

Do you know if any clips will fit these pedals or should I get different pedals?

Stay safe and thank you!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Wait what ?

Why would you have to swap your pedals over left to right ?

I've not seen left handed toe clips yet.

Something is odd here.

Also I think you'd need to screw the pedals inside the cranks which might make pedalling tricky. Clips or not.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ah after looking at your link is it something about the reflectors ?

Don't they unclip or unscrew ?
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    Why in the world do you need toe clips? There are all kinds of straps available for those pedals that lock the foot in just as well.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    It's probably the angle of the side of the pedal preventing this.

My wife didn't like clipless or toe straps so she prefers Zefal toe cups. I got her these cheap pedals and they fit the tow cups perfectly.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wellgo-lu-950-alloy-flat-pedals/

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/zefal-toe-clip-christophe-without-strap-mtb/136844706/p

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• racerex said:

Why in the world do you need toe clips? There are all kinds of straps available for those pedals that lock the foot in just as well.

This sounds interesting. This might do the strick. Could you link me to an example please. Surely, unless the strap is quite stiff and holds it shape, it might be tricky to get your foot out of the pedal quickly?
  • It's probably the angle of the side of the pedal preventing this.

My wife didn't like clipless or toe straps so she prefers Zefal toe cups. I got her these cheap pedals and they fit the tow cups perfectly.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wellgo-lu-950-alloy-flat-pedals/

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/zefal-toe-clip-christophe-without-strap-mtb/136844706/p

Thank you for this suggestion. I will be using my MTB as a hybrid (i.e. not just off-road). Can you pull up on this pedal to get some power on the upstroke. I can see that straps would make this work but not sure if it would work with toe cups.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    If you want power on the upstroke then you need tight toe straps, which are hard to get out of in an emergency. If you want easy withdrawal then you need toe cups, but will lose the power on the upstroke.
    The answer is probably SPD, as suggested.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • oxoman said:

Toe cups are flexible so won't really help you. I used them when I first started riding and soon swapped over to SPD pedals and haven't looked back. Because they are SPD they are easier to walk in as most shoes have recesses for the cleat unlike SPD,SL or Look or similar road cleats. I tried straps and found them a pain for stop start comutte riding and the plastic cup type a pain to get into when moving off, SPD,s are a lot easier and safer IMHO.

I take your point and if I get serious I will probably switch to the expense of SPD but at the moment, I want to be able to hop onto a bike with a variety of shoes - trainers, approach shoes. Besides, during the lockdown I'd prefer to avoid getting into buying a pair of cycling shoes. I've used toe straps on a road bike and loved them so am probably biased.
  • I've attached some images of the front of my pedal. The second image shows how I would need to fit my old toe clips to the pedal. I would need really long bolts and it would not be secure/ safe. The third shows how the clips would go on 'backwards' (heel clips) but, even then, there isn't room for the bolts. Perhaps these pedals weren't designed to be fitted with toe clips? Straps as suggested by racerex might work. But it looks like new pedals and toe clips might be the way forward. I think I could only justify the cost of SPD and the associated shoes and cleats etc. if I start cycling regularly.

• racerex
    racerex Posts: 69

racerex said:

This sounds interesting. This might do the strick. Could you link me to an example please. Surely, unless the strap is quite stiff and holds it shape, it might be tricky to get your foot out of the pedal quickly?
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/9431/products/gates_kit_1.jpg?v=1574093909
  • Thank you all for taking the time to get back to me. Much appreciated.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The threads are left and and right hand so that they do not unscrew. If you try screwing the left pedal into the right crank, or vice versa, you will be in a world of hurt because the threads will jam and you may never get them out.
  • The threads are left and and right hand so that they do not unscrew. If you try screwing the left pedal into the right crank, or vice versa, you will be in a world of hurt because the threads will jam and you may never get them out.

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have attempted this despite reading that someone claims to have done it to resolve the same dilemma I face. That's why I came on here, to get the views and advice of sensible people :smile:
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Although those pedals are flats and not really intended for use with toe clips you should be able to fit them with longer bolts and maybe a bit of trimming of the plastic.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009