Messed up with TACX NEO 2T web

dasorsan
dasorsan Posts: 11
Hello,

today I've received my TACX NEO 2T and I don't know which adapter should I use.

In https://tacx.com/product/neo-2t-smart/ they say "Directly compatible with 135×10 " but a little below they also say "it is directly compatible with all bikes, only for 135x10 you will need an additional adapter...".

As they say 135x10 needs an adittional adapter, just in case, I'had bought separately a TACX 135x10 adapter set (T2840): https://tacx.com/product/direct-drive-quick-release-with-adapterset/

Now I see that the turbo trainer includes a small piece called QR x 135 NDS, which is figure C in https://support.garmin.com/en-NZ/?faq=2GhbXH9Bub8BgLJ8YgW7n5.

Now I have two 135 mm adapter and they dont seem each other at all

The question is...

If my bike is 135x10, which adapter should I use:

The small piece called QR X 135 NDS included with tacx neo2T or the separately sold TACX 135x10 adapter set (T2840) ??

Thank you.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited May 2020
    Take your pick as both should work, the one that came with the trainer is to lengthen the supplied skewer so it reaches through the axle, the other is supplied as a ready to use skewer, they are basically the same thing.
    Read your instruction booklet all the info you need should be there.
  • You do seem to be having a great deal of trouble understanding how to fit a bike to this top of the range trainer. Are you sure you understand bikes and training routines?

May be you should send this back and get a turbo that you fix your complete bike into such an Elite Novo and save yourself a lot of money and worry.
  • dasorsan
    edited May 2020

Take your pick as both should work, the one that came with the trainer is to lengthen the supplied skewer so it reaches through the axle, the other is supplied as a ready to use skewer, they are basically the same thing.
    Read your instruction booklet all the info you need should be there.

Thanks for your help diamonddog

The user manual doesnt help for me

static.garmin.com/pumac/T2875-25_Manual_NEO-2T-Smart_DEF.pdf

Sorry but then, why TACX-Garmin says "For bikes with 135x10 and 135x12 the bike will need an additional adapter." (see https://support.garmin.com/es-ES/?altLocale=en-US&faq=i5qyTrHQCw6n6PUSWo2d86&productID=701670&searchQuery=135x10&tab=topics) ?

In fact the 135 non drive side piece provided with NEO 2T has nothing to do (shape and size) with any of the 135x10 external adapter parts. Besides, the adapter for the drive side preinstaled on factory is for 130 mm.

I wrote to Garmin support.

This is what I get when trying to mount and old school 26 MTB in a futuristic machine...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,739
    Something isn't ringing true here, or you are overthinking it.
    I have an old school (?) steel bike with 130mm dropouts. I simply used the quick release that comes supplied and good to go.
    I think that they are referring to modern thru axle mounts for adapters.
    If your bike is old just try the quick release or reword your query, please?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dasorsan
    edited May 2020
    pblakeney said:

Something isn't ringing true here, or you are overthinking it.
    I have an old school (?) steel bike with 130mm dropouts. I simply used the quick release that comes supplied and good to go.
    I think that they are referring to modern thru axle mounts for adapters.
    If your bike is old just try the quick release or reword your query, please?

For sure my English isn't good enough and I can't explain well, sorry if you missunderstood me.

I finally used the 135 QR non drive side piece adapter provided with the trainer and it seems to fit well on my bike (on the drive side just a piece called QR) . My confusion is because the accesory 135x10 QR adapter by Tacx I bought is totally different from the two QR pieces provided with the neo2T for 135 bikes and also, I thought that QR drive side piece was only for 130. I was afraid to set up an incorrect configuration and break the axle or something when I get on the bike. This is my first trainer and today my first contact with axles world.

Anyway, for completly useless people in mechanics, like me, TACX NEO 2T site is confusing, in my opinion. I first read the trainer is directly compatible with 135x10 bikes but also that is necesary an adictional adapter for 135x10 mm bikes. There's no document or video explaining how to mount a 135x10 mm. ). If you find it let me know. Some things are very easy if explained well but too difficult if not.

Thanks for your help.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,739
    Does your bike have standard dropouts or thru axle?

I am assuming it is standard in which case all you had to do is to put the bike on using the skewer as shown in the video with the Neo as it came out of the box, no adapters.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=HcHIXpapF86alwTu7Ir4BA&q=tacx+quick+release+skewer+installation&oq=tacx+quick+release+skew&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgIIADICCAAyBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeOgUIABCDAVC7C1j8Z2DnnAFoAHAAeACAAT2IAfYJkgECMjOYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab#kpvalbx=_McHIXs-dOISM8gKI7a7gBw31
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dasorsan
    edited May 2020
    pblakeney said:

Does your bike have standard dropouts or thru axle?

I am assuming it is standard in which case all you had to do is to put the bike on using the skewer as shown in the video with the Neo as it came out of the box

* My bike is MTB 135x10 QR standard
    * Neo 2T out of the box comes on the gears-side with a QR cap and a 130 QR cap in the other side preinstalled (ready for road bikes, I think)
    * In NEO 2T box there is a QR 135 non-gears side cap which I used and seems to work fine. But it's not explained in user manual, it just explains if you want to change to thru axles.
    * So, I guess the gear-side QR cap is for both 130 and 135.
    * Now instaled it seems as simple as 1+1.
    * NEO 2T website says that for 135x10 bikes is necesary an adittional 135x10 £50 adapter (totally diferent from the two side QR caps that come in the neo 2t box) If I'm right It's not true and confuses not so pro users, at least to me. And worse, it makes me doubt if my current configuration is the correct one.

Thank you pblakeney.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Hi mate. I thought we'd sorted this over in the MTB forum?

Are you set up now?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • dasorsan
    Ben6899 said:

Hi mate. I thought we'd sorted this over in the MTB forum?

Are you set up now?

Yes, after posting I realized indoor training forum is inside road cycling forum.

Yes, at last I'm enjoying the toy ;)