Chipped carbon frame check/insurance claim

Hi all. My chain has jumped off despite installed chain catcher and scratxhed the frame. Also there's a chip taken off. My concern is how safe it is . Also how do I check it and possibly claim via bike insurance I have? Would they pay out total sum or cost of the new frame only? Ice checked and those frames are not available new. Thanks

Comments

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Hi all. My chain has jumped off despite installed chain catcher and scratxhed the frame. Also there's a chip taken off. My concern is how safe it is . Also how do I check it and possibly claim via bike insurance I have? Would they pay out total sum or cost of the new frame only? Ice checked and those frames are not available new. Thanks

Seriously, is this a joke?

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Is this your BMC that already had a few chips on ?

Your bike is fine.
  • denispearl
    denispearl Posts: 152

• denispearl
    joe2019 said:

Seriously, is this a joke?

Explain please
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That's a paint chip. Your bike is fine.
  • joe2019
    Why on earth would you expect a replacement frame for damage done by a dropped chain?

And it is just a cosmetic paint chip.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    Some people really need to stick to bikes with metal frames for the peace of mind.
  • denispearl
    fenix said:

That's a paint chip. Your bike is fine.

Thanks Fenix
  • denispearl
    joe2019 said:

Why on earth would you expect a replacement frame for damage done by a dropped chain?

Thanks joe2019. Was thinking it could be more dangerous
  • joe2019
    edited May 2020

joe2019 said:

It would take more force than a dropped chain to fatally damage a carbon frame, and, in any case, your frame will have been overbuilt in the bottom bracket area.
  • denispearl
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

It would take more force than a dropped chain to fatally damage a carbon frame, and, in any case, your frame will have been overbuilt in the bottom bracket area.
    Thanks Joe 2019. Wasn't sure of it. And yes, BMC did a good job down there)