Chain

I am about to buy what is described as KMC Unisex's X10 Chain, Grey, 114 Link .

What does the 'Unisex' mean? Is it really any different to a basic X10?

https://amzn.to/3cSIbNy

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    It's stupid to describe some items as 'unisex'. Have seen that description myself.

Chains aren't specific to gender so probably a Google translation error from Chinese to English etc, I hope so anyway or I could be using a chain meant for a girl. :#
  • gummomarx
    gummomarx Posts: 64
    I've just got a reply from KMC (Netherlands) - they've never heard of a unisex chain but I love the intro of their response:
    'WIth all my fantasy, I cannot imagine what a unisex bike chain would be.'
  • reaperactual
    Laugh out loud! :D The question was answered thanks to Google translate again!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Probably just an Amazon tick boxes on the input where one of the default boxes is "gender". Ignore.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • reaperactual
    I told a biking buddy that his blingy, expensive gold KMC chain was for a girl, maybe there are different ones for boys and girls? ;)
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Did they really mean uni-directional?

I couldn't specify a chain model that should be fitted in a specific direction, but they do exist.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • gummomarx
    edited May 2020

Did they really mean uni-directional?

All KMC chains are, in their words, non-directional.

I couldn't specify a chain model that should be fitted in a specific direction, but they do exist.

My last one, Shimano, is uni.
  • gummomarx
    I ended up buying the chain from a locally-approved KMC stockist. I've fitted the chain successfully but I've found that it's jumping out of, or raking the top of some of the sprockets.

Someone mentioned that when you have to replace the chain that the cassette should be replaced too. Have I found personal proof of this or is there something else wrong?

PS: The KMC X-10 is the original chain of my Giant Escape 0. I do about 1,000 mile per year and both the chain and cassette had been replaced in September 2017 (they had lasted three years).
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Yes, sounds like your cassette is worn too. You don't always have to replace both though, cassettes typically last a good few chains.
  • buy a chain wear indicator too. that way you can change you chains at the 0.5% wear mark. some may say thats too early but from exoperience it isn't. caasettes and chainring last much longer when chains are changed early. Also chains wear sloly to the 0.5% wear mark. above that they wear much more quickly. a chain take half the number of miles to go from 0.5% to 1% roughly than from new to 0.5%. That a very rough rule of thumb and its to do with the coatings or surafce hardening of rollar and pins wearing off.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Chain might bed in after a couple of rides.