Hope Fortus wheels XD driver comparability 10 speed

Hi I am currently in the market for some new wheels and I have decided on a Hope Fortus setup. The wheels come with an Sran XD driver but I can't seem to ascertain if this is compatible with my 10 speed Sram cartridge, please can you help?

Also, If not compatible which would be easier? changing my set up to an 11/12 speed cartridge or if available getting a 10 speed Sram driver for my hope hubs (I've looked but can't identify one ????)

I am a person of moderate technical knowledge and usually rely upon my local bike shop to help but given the current situation I'm finding it difficult to get in contact with the right people, so any help I can get would be eternally appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited May 2020
    If your Sram cassette has 10 teeth on the smallest cog it uses XD Driver. If it has 11 teeth it uses a Shimano freehub fitting, posted on pink bike too! :)
  • adriancoldrick
    adriancoldrick Posts: 4
    edited May 2020

If your Sram cassette has 10 teeth on the smallest cog it uses XD Driver. If it has 11 teeth it uses a Shimano freehub fitting, posted on pink bike too! :)

Just so I'm clear, even though I have a Sram 10 cog cassette because the bottom cog has 11 teeth it's a shimano driver. I'm about to fork out so need to be 100%

Yeah that's me on pink bike 😃

Thanks
  • reaperactual
    edited May 2020
    I have a Sram NX 11 speed 11-42 cassette fitted to my Hope Fortus wheelset with a Shimano freehub.

My friend has a Sram GS 12 speed 10-50 cassette with an XD Driver.

Standard Shimano freehubs cannot fit a small cog with anything less than 11 teeth.

XD Drivers were created to add cassette range by being able to produce a cassette with a 10 tooth small cog to achieve this wider range.

If you can give any more info on make model and year of your bike or any other info about your specific cassette I will 100% confirm for you before you buy your wheelset?
  • reaperactual
    Shimano have created the a new 12 speed cassette that uses a new Micro spline freehub for exactly the same reason, to fit a 10 tooth cog instead of the minimum 11 tooth small cog.
  • adriancoldrick
    edited May 2020
  • reaperactual
    sram pg-1020 11-36t is a Shimano freehub fitting.

You say your wheelset comes with XD Driver? I bought my set from Bike Wheels Direct for £340 about 3 months ago. At the time you had a full choice of freehub fittings with spacer that you will need with this cassette, 2x rim tape with valves included with the purchase.
  • adriancoldrick
    edited May 2020
    I was only looking at the XD given it is a Sram cassette I assumed that it was gonna be the one I needed but information is pretty vague online. I can get the shimano one aswell, so will order.

Thanks for your time, muchos appreciated
  • reaperactual
    Good choice on Fortus wheelset. Love mine, best upgrade I ever did! Happy riding Pal! B)