17. Bardet 1.7m
18. Van Avermaet 1.6m
19. Lopez 1.5m

I need Aru's agent to come to my next annual review
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Blimey, in another thread people were having a crack at Kwiatkowski for chucking away his career potential. One of the smartest guys I would say, made it to the biggest team and manages to get one of the highest salaries without the constant attention.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Roglic looks good value compared to some.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited May 2020
    Aru must have been Dick Turpin in a previous life.

Ah, I missed Rich's little comment underneath, but it's worth a second comment.
    One for each million and a quarter he's being over paid.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    shows how much money Ineos have
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Hope Aru's agent gets a good cut, the guys a genius
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    edited May 2020
    God top level cyclists aren't paid much.

edit: I have been playing some FM2020 recently and am embarking on an unprecedented 4th champions league title in a row, but I need some players and...yeah. Fairly sure Mbappe's salary I negotiated could cover the entire peloton.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,735
    They look decent salaries to me.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    edited May 2020

Blimey, in another thread people were having a crack at Kwiatkowski for chucking away his career potential. One of the smartest guys I would say, made it to the biggest team and manages to get one of the highest salaries without the constant attention.

That was me. Wasn't having a crack at him. I just said i always get disappointed when top one-day riders like him go to places like sky ineos to take a fat paycheck to not get properly supported in the one dayers and be treated like a fancy domestique in the Tour.

Not their fault - I'd do the same.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Theyre low compared to other sportsists.

Are other sports overpaid or cyclists underpaid ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DeVlaeminck
    Depends on the sport. We tend to look at professional football or sometimes sports where a relatively small number earn a very good living like say motor sport or golf, tennis etc.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    The top people may not earn as much but the person ranked 300th at cycling takes home more than the person ranked 300th at tennis or golf.
  • mrb123
    edited May 2020
    RichN95. said:

The top people may not earn as much but the person ranked 300th at cycling takes home more than the person ranked 300th at tennis or golf.

Well over 100 players earn a million dollars or more each year on the golf US Tour alone.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Considering people like Lewis Hamilton are on 40m (GBP) a year without the additional sponsorship etc, cyclists aren't paid a whole lot.

The risks aren't a whole lot different either, if anything I'd say F1 was safer.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

I think for the level of commitment with regards to training/diet (a lot of footballers still get drunk at the weekend, for example) and the level of risk, the salaries are pretty low.

You're also getting nowhere near that level if you're not prepared to dope (which I accept probably happens in most sports to an extent).
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Landa?
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    mrb123 said:

RichN95. said:

Well over 100 players earn a million dollars or more each year on the golf US Tour alone.

They have a lot of overheads though. Travel, accommodation, coaching - they pay for all that while the cyclist doesn't.

I read somewhere (a few years ago admittedly) in tennis only the top 100 men and top 50 women actually make money
  • mrb123
    RichN95. said:

mrb123 said:

RichN95. said:

They have a lot of overheads though. Travel, accommodation, coaching - they pay for all that while the cyclist doesn't.

I read somewhere (a few years ago admittedly) in tennis only the top 100 men and top 50 women actually make money
    Fair point re the golfers. Caddie's salary will be at least 10% of prize money to start with.

Most golfers will have individual endorsement deals though for clubs, balls, hat and clothing sponsors etc.

I guess not too many cyclists have their own deals and much of the sponsorship money goes to the team.
  • DeVlaeminck
    mrb123 said:

RichN95. said:

Genuinely surprised by that. In a way I'm glad cyclists don't earn the astronomic amounts we see in some sports - but then again if I was a pro cyclist I might think differently !

The ones I would like to see earn more are the women - I know their branch of the sport may not generate the income and I'm not saying they "should" get more - just I would like to see them at least be able to earn a decent living for the duration of their time as pro cyclists.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641

mrb123 said:

RichN95. said:

Genuinely surprised by that. In a way I'm glad cyclists don't earn the astronomic amounts we see in some sports - but then again if I was a pro cyclist I might think differently !

The ones I would like to see earn more are the women - I know their branch of the sport may not generate the income and I'm not saying they "should" get more - just I would like to see them at least be able to earn a decent living for the duration of their time as pro cyclists.
    If we're naming things we'd like, with no expectation they'll happen, I'd like Internet Forum People to be remunerated better than they currently are. Years of sacrifice have gone into the 10s of thousands of posts on this site with no financial benefit (apart from the water bottle I got for winning PTP Giro in 2016)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    RichN95. said:

mrb123 said:

RichN95. said:

That million dollars is prize money alone for the top 100 golfers on the PGA tour - doesn't include any sponsorship income (or any of those on the European Tour).

All time money list for the PGA tour has over 300 people making over $5 million in prize money over their career (190 of them over $10 million). Can't be that many cyclists who've earned that just from wages can there?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited May 2020
    Some one Ineos riders prob think #1 on an average team or well paid domestique. Well GVA isn't doing that well at CCC so I'll suffer with Ineos in comfort. Carapaz has talked about Movistar so things are not great for the leaders in some teams