The big silly thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,469
    edited May 2020
    In case anyone has missed the title, this is the C-19 antidote thread. There is another thread for miserable ****ers to vent in, a sort of negativity quarantine thread ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,229

We had this one?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Stevo_666 said:

I get the feeling Coopster hit the inner and outer bullseye with his WWII joke :)

I was looking for "These bally Germans look quite a difficult opponent, I think we should just give up and let them win, so we can get back to life as normal."

:smiley:
    Perspectives are funny.

I’d have thought thinking you can hide in lockdown for as long as it takes the nasty virus to go away was the more defeatist approach.

But my interest in more on the way the same analogy can be used to fit either perspective.
  • kingstongraham
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

I get the feeling Coopster hit the inner and outer bullseye with his WWII joke :)

I was looking for "These bally Germans look quite a difficult opponent, I think we should just give up and let them win, so we can get back to life as normal."

:smiley:
    Perspectives are funny.

I’d have thought thinking you can hide in lockdown for as long as it takes the nasty virus to go away was the more defeatist approach.

But my interest in more on the way the same analogy can be used to fit either perspective.
    I think both hiding in lockdown forever and giving up and accepting the deaths are both defeatist. But that's for the other thread.

Here's Morph in lockdown.

• Stevo_666

We had this one?

Thats a new one, and quite true for a lot of people.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    There's been a murder

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

There's been a murder

How can he be so ignorant of the fact that the British govt had been rearming for several years and that the Spitfire first flew in 1936. There was never a shortage of Spitfires at the start of the conflict.
  • tailwindhome

How can he be so ignorant of the fact that the British govt had been rearming for several years and that the Spitfire first flew in 1936. There was never a shortage of Spitfires at the start of the conflict.

It's a joke
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    edited May 2020

It's a joke
    If it was a good joke I would forgive it but it is a lame joke levered into ignorance.

It should have used V1 instead of Spitfire
  • tailwindhome
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,746

It's a joke
    If it was a good joke I would forgive it but it is a lame joke levered into ignorance.

If you want to upset the apple cart some more just query the amount of foreign Spitfire pilots.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,589

It's a joke

Allow me to demonstrate my ignorance, so you can better understand things. I would have been fairly confident the spitfire was used in ww2. Couldn't have told you anything more. V1 is short for version 1 as far as I am concerned.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

It's a joke

If you want to upset the apple cart some more just query the amount of foreign Spitfire pilots.

But without them they would never have been able to manipulate the stats to claim they only took on poshos
  • surrey_commuter

It's a joke

Allow me to demonstrate my ignorance, so you can better understand things. I would have been fairly confident the spitfire was used in ww2. Couldn't have told you anything more. V1 is short for version 1 as far as I am concerned.
    Fair point but you don’t spend your life talking in war analogies. My point is that the UK Govt was actively preparing for the outbreak of war since the early 30’s. This included tenders to design and build a single engine interceptor fighter.
    The V1 was Hitler’s first missile that fell out of the sky over London. V is for vengeance.

The joke does not work because the Spitfire is the embodiment of successful long-term planning and execution. It would have been a real side splitter if they had people moaning about the Govt’s lack of planning in the face of Hitler’s top secret invention.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,636

It's a joke

Not sure if you are trolling, but just in case.

The V1 was a German flying bomb. Effectively the first cruise missile and arguably the grandfather of space flight. Kind of a big deal.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,589
    rjsterry said:

It's a joke

Not sure if you are trolling, but just in case.

The V1 was a German flying bomb. Effectively the first cruise missile and arguably the grandfather of space flight. Kind of a big deal.
    I don't troll. I was just demonstrating that we all have different areas of knowledge and ignorance - a point that surrey commuter did get I think.

I also think this is the sort of thing that virtually all babyboomers know and very few millenials do.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,636
    edited May 2020
    I'm definitely not a boomer but I think I'm too old to be a millennial. Either way, Ashcroft should stick to polling.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    xxxx me, there's more of this sort of sh1te on this thread as well. Get a 'kin grip peeps.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    It's been a while since school, didn't we proceed with appeasement for so long in part due to not being ready for war?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • surrey_commuter
    Jeremy.89 said:

It's been a while since school, didn't we proceed with appeasement for so long in part due to not being ready for war?

Yes
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,746

pblakeney said:

It's a joke

But without them they would never have been able to manipulate the stats to claim they only took on poshos
    Oh, and by the way. Hurricanes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    Joe Wicks is going to get an honour when this is over.

My kids absolutely adore his PE session in the morning.

I get that it's been great for the 'Joe Wicks' brand but fair play to the fella.

• kingstongraham

Joe Wicks is going to get an honour when this is over.

My kids absolutely adore his PE session in the morning.

I get that it's been great for the 'Joe Wicks' brand but fair play to the fella.

Before all this, I was very much inclined to dislike him without knowing anything about him.

But I tried a few of his recipes, and they are really good too. Hate it when I'm wrong.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,945
    Lack of taste is an indicator of Covid19...

The older I get, the better I was.

• tailwindhome
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It's a joke

Oh, and by the way. Hurricanes.
    ahh the mythical second plane that the illuminati claim did all the work, I bet you are one of those people who think man landed on the moon. I suppose they gave them the same engine so they all sounded the same