Is this a frame crack?

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
Hi guys do you think this is a structural crack? Found it today and it cleaned up a bit with a wipe but I can feel a hairline crack through the paint? Googled it and another guy has had the same issue but no idea what his was caused by.

[img] https://i.imgur.com/OFJfaaf.jpg[/img]
[img] https://i.imgur.com/91WENvS.jpg[/img]
[img] https://i.imgur.com/91WENvS.jpg[/img]

Comments

• bmxboy10
    Its a 2019 Supersix Evo. I bought it late last year new! Done less than 500 miles....
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    If its less than a year old take it back to where you got it from and let them look at it.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    With the bike being fairly new and the location could it just be damaged paint from chain resting on there or a previous chain drop?
  • bmxboy10
    Now you say it the chain did drop recently and the crack/scratch did have residue/grease on it. I’ll ring Start Fitness today.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    Its not a frame crack.

Get a chain catcher. All chains drop from time to time no matter how well adjusted.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Very unlikely to be a crack, probably just removed some top-coat and or paint. The area around the BB shell will be pretty solid unlike top tube or a stay.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    agree with above posters, cant say for sure from a pic but If you're uncertain, I'll ride it for a few years and let you know :)
  • bmxboy10
    Took it to a bike shop. The Manager said not to ride it and they would send it to Cannondale. I now I have the dilemma on what to do. It could be weeks/months In the current climate and I will be liable for all on costs and workshop costs as I didn’t buy the bike from them. What a mare for what could be just a paint crack.

Spoke to the on line retailer I bought it from who asked for more photos to send to Cannondale who will then decide what to do next.

This is my only bike .......I could cry
  • First.Aspect
    edited May 2020
    Could have predicted that.

What else is the guy going to say? And why did you take it somewhere you didn't buy it from?

Just clean it, polish or nail varnish over the mark and ride it. There is rediculous over caution about this sort of thing.

If it is a scratch, which is what a black chain coloured relatively wide mark that appeared after you dropped the chain looks like to me, then it will possibly attract dirt bit otherwise stay the same.

If it is a crack, which it isn't, it will get worse. Even then it is highly likely that you'd get ample warning.

Honestly sometimes I wonder where the mountain of pristine carbon fibre components with minor surface blemishes ends up. eBay?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

What else is the guy going to say? And why did you take it somewhere you didn't buy it from?

Just clean it, polish or nail varnish over the mark and ride it. There is rediculous over caution about this sort of thing.

If it is a scratch, which is what a black chain coloured relatively wide mark that appeared after you dropped the chain looks like to me, then it will possibly attract dirt bit otherwise stay the same.

If it is a crack, which it isn't, it will get worse. Even then it is highly likely that you'd get ample warning.

Honestly sometimes I wonder where the mountain of pristine carbon fibre components with minor surface blemishes ends up. eBay?

Minor blemishes get qx labels pasted over them. The ones that fail the ct scan go on ebay.
  • First.Aspect

Minor blemishes get qx labels pasted over them. The ones that fail the ct scan go on ebay.
    What about duct tape repairs?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's not a crack it's just a mark from your chain. They're being ultra cautious and they're quids in from.you anyway.

If it were me I'd just ride it. I can't see how a cf frame would crack there.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    fenix said:

It's not a crack it's just a mark from your chain. They're being ultra cautious and they're quids in from.you anyway.

Some of the older Cervelo frames... the BB shell debonded from the surrounding carbon layup, rotated and split the paint. So not a crack, but a frame defect rather than just paint.

This looks like chain drop scuffs though. AND... if it does fail suddenly while being ridden, well it's a low risk area right?

Ride it for now, OP, if you want my advice. Taking exercise is pretty important at the moment.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bmxboy10
    Ben6899 said:

fenix said:

Some of the older Cervelo frames... the BB shell debonded from the surrounding carbon layup, rotated and split the paint. So not a crack, but a frame defect rather than just paint.

This looks like chain drop scuffs though. AND... if it does fail suddenly while being ridden, well it's a low risk area right?

Ride it for now, OP, if you want my advice. Taking exercise is pretty important at the moment.
    What does a low risk area mean?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    It means it is less likely to result in a crash than say the fork snapping.

We can't judge from a photo but I doubt it's a crack too - I also think that if it is a crack or something that will get worse rather than a scratch you'll almost certainly feel some movement and/or gear some creaking rather than it just going from fine to snapping.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect
    bmxboy10 said:

Ben6899 said:

fenix said:

What does a low risk area mean?
    It means it is unlikely to snap without warning. And also that you can see it - not hidden as it develops like, say a crack around a steerer tube hidden by a stem.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    I'd have no worries riding that, as said above it's just a mark from a chain drop (that you even remember happening).

For reassurance, tap it with something metallic, if it sounds different in that area, then it is cracked, but it won't sound any different because it's not cracked.
  • bmxboy10
    So Cannondale have said they want to inspect it meaning ill be without a bike for some time and I need to somehow get a box which in this climate may prove difficult. I don't know if ill bother based on the feedback here. One question though, if the "mark" is from the chain dropping could this lead to it cracking in the future?
  • joe2019
    bmxboy10 said:

So Cannondale have said they want to inspect it meaning ill be without a bike for some time and I need to somehow get a box which in this climate may prove difficult. I don't know if ill bother based on the feedback here. One question though, if the "mark" is from the chain dropping could this lead to it cracking in the future?

There is no way a dropped chain could crack a frame. Plus, the frame is overbuilt in the bottom bracket area anyway.

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited May 2020
    Enough chain drops can cause damage to the carbon, effectively sawing in to it, but you would have to keep pedaling for a bit each time.

I agree that it's just a paint crack caused by dropped chain.

If your annoyed at having to return the bike for inspection imagine how p'd off you're going to be when it's returned to you with a note saying its only superficial paint damage and so you will have been without a bike for no reason!

Are there no cannondale dealers local to you who can sort this? Most warranty claims are sorted between the dealers and the manufacturer, not the owner (unless direct sale).
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Once the chain is off - doesn't matter if you pedal or not. The chains not on so it's not going to saw through the bottom bracket.
  • joe2019
    fenix said:

Once the chain is off - doesn't matter if you pedal or not. The chains not on so it's not going to saw through the bottom bracket.

:)

• First.Aspect
    bmxboy10 said:

FFS. This is another "what do you expect them to say?". Dear sirs, I think I have a cracked frame. What should I do?

I was once told to send an entire bike back to the US because an aluminium spoke nipple had broken. I didn't.

Either take the advice from the forum, or ignore it and send the bike back to be told it is either cosmetic or is awful terrible damage that isn't under warranty because your chain dropped. But please don't ignore the consistent advice you've been given and ask for more advice.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Yes I think you'd know if there was a crack in the bottom bracket - if nothing else it'd probably start creaking - though if it's creaking don't take that as proof of a crack I mean it is a Cannondale after all.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bmxboy10

bmxboy10 said:

FFS. This is another "what do you expect them to say?". Dear sirs, I think I have a cracked frame. What should I do?

I was once told to send an entire bike back to the US because an aluminium spoke nipple had broken. I didn't.

Either take the advice from the forum, or ignore it and send the bike back to be told it is either cosmetic or is awful terrible damage that isn't under warranty because your chain dropped. But please don't ignore the consistent advice you've been given and ask for more advice.
    Not sure who you think you are buddy. I am listening and ill ask all th questions I want so if you don't like go elsewhere. Hope you got your nipple fixed as you sound like a bit of a T I T

• bmxboy10
    edited May 2020

bmxboy10 said:

Not sure who you think you are buddy. I am listening and ill ask all the questions I want so if you don't like it .....

• bmxboy10
    redvision said:

Enough chain drops can cause damage to the carbon, effectively sawing in to it, but you would have to keep pedaling for a bit each time.

I agree that it's just a paint crack caused by dropped chain.

If your annoyed at having to return the bike for inspection imagine how p'd off you're going to be when it's returned to you with a note saying its only superficial paint damage and so you will have been without a bike for no reason!

Are there no cannondale dealers local to you who can sort this? Most warranty claims are sorted between the dealers and the manufacturer, not the owner (unless direct sale).

Thanks all I decided not to send it back! have you seen the long range weather forecast!
  • First.Aspect
    bmxboy10 said:

bmxboy10 said:

Not sure who you think you are buddy. I am listening and ill ask all the questions I want so if you don't like it .....

Welcome to the internet. It is a subset of real life.
  • Dear snowflake. Welcome to the real world.
    Now toddle off and ride your bike....if mummy will let you.