Narrowed down to 2! Calibre Bossnut Triple B Or Sonder Cortex NX Eagle.

Well after a busy day searching, measuring, researching and watching you tube, I’ve managed to whittle my choice of FS bikes down to 2.

We have the calibre triple B
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15905428/calibre-triple-b-mountain-bike-15905428

And the Sonder Cortex NX Eagle
https://alpkit.com/collections/sonder-mountain-bikes/products/sonder-cortex-nx-eagle

Prices are roughly the same but I’m still at a bit of a fork in the trail...... Which way to go!? If you look at them specs which would you say is the better bike?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    The Triple B is £500 cheaper if you get a discount card which costs £5...

If they were the same price, there's a few differences between them. One is a 29er with slightly shorter travel (Sonder), the other is a slightly longer travel 27.5er. For me personally with the riding I do (longer rides where I generally keep my wheels on the ground), that would point me towards the Sonder, but your preferences may be different. The price difference is difficult to ignore though.
  • liamjayjackson
    liamjayjackson Posts: 15
    edited May 2020

The Triple B is £500 cheaper if you get a discount card which costs £5...

If they were the same price, there's a few differences between them. One is a 29er with slightly shorter travel (Sonder), the other is a slightly longer travel 27.5er. For me personally with the riding I do (longer rides where I generally keep my wheels on the ground), that would point me towards the Sonder, but your preferences may be different. The price difference is difficult to ignore though.

I think I’m being drawn to the bigger wheels and less travel due to probably doing more cycling xc than hardcore trails.

Price wise the triple B is £1575 due to only millets having it in stock in my size and them wanting a £75 premium. The Sonder I can get for £1699 fully built, So the prices aren’t that far apart.

Ive seen the Triple B being loved in the reviews, however Sonder are a bit less well known and niche. I think I like their ethos (and their small British company values, I was able to talk direct to someone who was extremely knowledgeable on the phone yesterday about sizing, rather than shop floor staff at a go outdoors. When I did ring go outdoors they just reeled off the webpage I was ready looking at word for word)

I suppose I’m wanting to know on paper/through anyone’s experience, what’s the better bike?

But then I know that’s opinion and not always fact! Haha!

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited May 2020
    I was interested to find out more about the Sonder and liked it over the Triple B even though I'm not a fan of 29ers.

I would buy the Triple B! Not that much difference in Spec. between the two. The Triple B won easily over the Sonder because it's way too expensive.

£500 less and it's got a dropper post, bonus! That's a lot of bike for the money. I would buy the Triple B and it gets my vote.

• reaperactual
    I think I’m being drawn to the bigger wheels and less travel due to probably doing more cycling xc than hardcore trails.

Price wise the triple B is £1575 due to only millets having it in stock in my size and them wanting a £75 premium. The Sonder I can get for £1699 fully built, So the prices aren’t that far apart.

Ive seen the Triple B being loved in the reviews, however Sonder are a bit less well known and niche. I think I like their ethos (and their small British company values, I was able to talk direct to someone who was extremely knowledgeable on the phone yesterday about sizing, rather than shop floor staff at a go outdoors. When I did ring go outdoors they just reeled off the webpage I was ready looking at word for word)

I suppose I’m wanting to know on paper/through anyone’s experience, what’s the better bike?

But then I know that’s opinion and not always fact! Haha!

If you take out £500 difference from the equation then I change my vote as I agree with the ethos of small British company values and would rather deal with that kind of company and the more 'personal touch' and hand built to order over big chain stores.

Sounds like you have made your mind up already Mate?

• I was interested to find out more about the Sonder and liked it over the Bossnut even though I'm not a fan of 29ers.

I would buy the Bossnut! Not that much difference in Spec. between the two. The Bossnut won easily over the Sonder because it's way too expensive.

£500 less and it's got a dropper post, bonus! That's a lot of bike for the money. I would buy the Bossnut and it gets my vote.

The Sonder is only £200 more with a deal I’ve been offered, still the bossnut? Does an extra £300 change things? :neutral:

• Sounds like you have made your mind up already Mate?

No... I’m too indecisive!

It’s a case of dropper post and £200 cheaper V built to order something different, support local.

If the cortex had a dropper it would be so much easier :smiley:

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Just to clarify one thing. The Bossnut does not come with a dropper post, the Triple B does.
    FWIW I've got the current incarnation of the Bossnut, I added a Brand-X Ascent for less than £100.
    I love the bike, far, far more capable than I am it encourages me to keep pushing myself.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • reaperactual
    edited May 2020
    Down to you now Pal. You have done your research, doubt you will get an owner review on the Sonder. You could buy a Brand X dropper for around £100. My advise is follow your gut not your head. ;)
  • reaperactual
    edited May 2020
    Just to clarify one thing. The Bossnut does not come with a dropper post, the Triple B does.

Thanks for clarification on my errors dabber. I have edited my mistakes in calling the Triple B a Bossnut. :)

• I think I need to flip a coin 😂
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited May 2020
    Something else to factor in to the equation.
    Where would you go in the event of a warranty claim? I'm not talking shifting that doesn't adjust properly, you should be able to take care of that yourself. What I'm talking about is the failure of something expensive or normally outwith the reach of the home mechanic. I'm thinking frame cracks, fork seizing, shock leaking, suspension pivot bearings failing, hub axle shearing, bottom bracket seizing, headset bearings grumbling..... If any of these fail within the first six months (and strictly speaking within the first two years) then who are you going to call? Are you going to box the bike up and pay to send the bike back wherever it came from - for who knows how long? Or are you going to wheel into your local bike shop and let them deal with it.

None of the above may happen, but if/when it does you will be glad you chose local.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

I think I need to flip a coin 😂

I have found the following to be a useful guide:
    Allocate an option Calibre or Sonder to Heads or Tails (you decide).
    Say to yourself "I will accept the fall of the coin!"
    Flip the coin and look at the result
    Ask yourself "Do I feel happy?"
    If not, buy the other one! B)

• None of the above may happen, but if/when it does you will be glad you chose local.

Go outdoors and alpkit are both close enough to me, but alpkit seem to get great feedback on customer service etc...... I might let the coin speak, although it’s now because of another issue, as I’m buying struggling between models of Sonder. I need to take myself outside and have a word with myself I think.

• None of the above may happen, but if/when it does you will be glad you chose local.

Go outdoors and alpkit are both close enough to me, but alpkit seem to get great feedback on customer service etc...... I might let the coin speak, although it’s now because of another issue, as I’m buying struggling between models of Sonder. I need to take myself outside and have a word with myself I think.
    Hi, What did you decide to go with in the end. I'm currently contemplating the Cortex SX versus Bossnut, so interested in your own experience.

Rich