Froome thinking about leaving Ineos

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-in-discussions-over-a-mid-season-transfer/

Oh ma gawd!

Froome thinking about a mid-season transfer out of Ineos.

With speculation mounting over Team Ineos’ pecking order at this year’s Tour de France, Cyclingnews understands that four-time Tour winner Chris Froome is in discussions over a possible mid-season transfer.

The Ineos leader has not yet signed a contract extension, with his current three-year deal concluding at the end of the calendar year.

The 34-year-old has stated several times that he sees a possible fifth Tour de France title as his main objective for the year and that he plans to race for at least another four years. However, with leadership for the Tour de France still undecided and last year’s winner Egan Bernal last week stating that he will not sacrifice his chances for those of a teammate, Ineos have a number of difficult decisions to make.

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    That's a positive development. Good to see the best riders on different teams.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    It's just an internal power play. Cycling News is where you leak BS stories so they get seen.

Where would he be comfortable going at the 11th hour? Bahrain? And they're apparently financially unstable.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Please be movistar, please please please.
  • RichN95.

Please be movistar, please please please.

That would be amusing
  • rick_chasey
    Does he have an entourage, Nibali style?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Be good news for the race if true.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2020

Not really. Tim Kerrison is important obviously, but he won't leave unless he feels threatened by Artxte (sp?). Gary Blem as mechanic perhaps, maybe a favourite soigneur (the one that called his son Chris). No riders to look after. That's why Bahrain is the only viable team - Ellingworth, Landa, Poels

He may move on at the end of the season. But mid season? Ineos haven't paid him eight months salary for 70th place in the Tour of UAE. Why would they release him? I think Brailsford still thinks he's the top guy. Froome just wants Bernal put back in his box.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Not really. Tim Kerrison is important obviously, but he won't leave unless he feels threatened by Artxte (sp?). Gary Blem as mechanic perhaps, maybe a favourite soigneur (the one that called his son Chris). No riders to look after.

He may move on at the end of the season. But mid season? Ineos haven't paid him eight months salary for 70th place in the Tour of UAE. Why would they release him? I think Brailsford still thinks he's the top guy. Froome just wants Bernal put back in his box.
    Thing with these threats are you have to follow through with them if they don't blink and Froome, of all people, will know that.
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2020

Thing with these threats are you have to follow through with them if they don't blink and Froome, of all people, will know that.

That's why you leak it via a third party to Cycling News. They'll print it without any confirmation. It gets the attention of the right people. Froome can deny all knowledge.

A mid season switch needs the consent of both parties. I don't think he can't just hand in his notice.

His agent will ask around for next season - that's normal. If only to ascertain your market value.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    He's still number 1.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    gsk82 said:

He's still number 1.

He'll only be number 1 if he's actually the best. No idea if that's still the case, Bernal is pretty good.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    He's going to Newcastle United. They are being linked with signing anyone and everyone at the moment !! :)
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2020
    Bernal will literally be number 1 (as in his dossard), but I think the riders will favour Froome. They're from the Cote d'Azur/Kerrison training group. Bernal needs to get more of the Spain/Artxte group in.

Unlike the times with Landa and Thomas this genuinely could divide a team which does have two clear factions
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Those who have had dealings with brailsford know he loves this stuff. 2 or 3 riders vying for attention just keeps them hungry. Given current conditions only a couple of teams could afford Froome. Let the road decide.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    RichN95. said:

Bernal will literally be number 1 (as in his dossard), but I think the riders will favour Froome. They're from the Cote d'Azur/Kerrison training group. Bernal needs to get more of the Spain/Artxte group in.

Unlike the times with Landa and Thomas this genuinely could divide a team which does have two clear factions

Yeah the factions were clear, when Thomas basically said in his documentary he didn't know Bernal. A few years ago it wasn't even thought that a rider could do the tour for Sky without being in that core group.
  • DeVlaeminck
    RichN95. said:

Not really. Tim Kerrison is important obviously, but he won't leave unless he feels threatened by Artxte (sp?). Gary Blem as mechanic perhaps, maybe a favourite soigneur (the one that called his son Chris). No riders to look after. That's why Bahrain is the only viable team - Ellingworth, Landa, Poels

Agree with that but I suppose IF it involved a transfer fee - who knows what kind of numbers he's been putting out ?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    RichN95. said:

I doubt Bahrain can afford him.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    A bit of wild speculation, but if Froome didn't care about the money and Ineos was looking to cut costs, they could come to some form of mutual agreement.

I imagine though that he wants to win and to be paid well for his troubles.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    I'd doubt the money is as important now as the number 5. He surely be an asset to any team and would pull sponsors... I'd rahther see all the top guys racing each other so would be happy to see him move. I don't think it's going to happen though.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Thing is he has to be better (or luckier) than Bernal whether he stays or not. It's not as if Brailsford is likely to order Froome to work for his younger team mate unless maybe it's already game over as far as winning goes.
  • RichN95.
    Two things I am certain of:

1. Froome will ride the Tour (if it happens). It's probably in his contract

2. Brailsford won't let Froome ride it for another team. The prospect of him winning would too much for Brailsford to contemplate.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

2. Brailsford won't let Froome ride it for another team. The prospect of him winning would too much for Brailsford to contemplate.

What odds would you give Bernal v Froome head to head?
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2020

RichN95. said:

No idea in the current situation and with Froome's injury. 2018 Late Giro Froome v 2019 Tour Bernal - Froome. I'd back Froome to win that final TT regardless though

Had Froome been at the 2019 Tour I don't think Alaphilippe would have played as much of a part. Bernal was hardly dominant. Without the mudslide Thomas may have won again. Pinot may have won if he didn't find a new inventive third week booby trap.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    While Froome and Bernal mark each other out, Thomas takes off and wins Le Tour :D
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    sherer said:

While Froome and Bernal mark each other out, Thomas takes off and wins Le Tour :D

Ineos & DB are still happy.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    pblakeney said:

sherer said:

Ineos & DB are still happy.
    And all 3 riders on the podium are ineos
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    If Ineos let him leave mid season I would suggest he is finished.

They don't tend to make those mistakes.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    Can't see Froome moving mid-season, but can see him leaving at the end of the year. Bernal is the future for Ineos hence signing the likes of Sosa etc.

Also, it massively plays into Ineos' hands to have people guessing who the leader is. It's been the same way since at least about 2017 "the road will decide"
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2020
    Live footage of Froome sharing leadership with Bernal and Thomas

• rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

No idea in the current situation and with Froome's injury. 2018 Late Giro Froome v 2019 Tour Bernal - Froome. I'd back Froome to win that final TT regardless though

Had Froome been at the 2019 Tour I don't think Alaphilippe would have played as much of a part. Bernal was hardly dominant. Without the mudslide Thomas may have won again. Pinot may have won if he didn't find a new inventive third week booby trap.
    So point 1: I am sceptical.

Point 2: mind elaborating why Alaphilippe would have played a smaller role? Is it because with Froome around he would have had an extra pair of good legs to control the race more easily, and Froome typically (though obviously not always) like to take earlier leads?