The big silly thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Like this

• orraloon
    And this

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Trump?! ^
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I'm always up for this kind of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeT6Aeof4Ok
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    ^^^^ Brilliant! ^^^^
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited May 2020
    Stevo in conversation his boss today

• Stevo_666

Stevo in conversation his boss today

:)

Job security here I come...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

• tailwindhome
    Andrew Cotter still having a fantastic lockdown

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • orraloon
    😊 Looking in the mirror I'm seeing more hair than the 70s student days.

Open The Barbers. Open The Barbers...
  • coopster_the_1st
    I'm sure we can assign a number of the regular cake stoppers to these :smiley:

If WWII happened today...

1. Can I have more clarity on the “Your country needs you” slogan, it’s too ambiguous and I’m confused.

2. Why aren’t you doing enough to prevent these air raids?

3. Does the siren apply to everyone?

4. There are only male and female toilets in the air raid shelter and I don’t identify as either.

5. This respirator haversack has a leather strap and I’m a vegan.

6. Why cant I have almond milk on my ration card

7. I find the term “black out” offensive.

8. I find the lack of colour options within military uniforms oppressive.

9. Why didn’t we have stock piles of spitfires at the start of this conflict?
  • Stevo_666

1. Can I have more clarity on the “Your country needs you” slogan, it’s too ambiguous and I’m confused.

4. There are only male and female toilets in the air raid shelter and I don’t identify as either.

:D

Only a number of them?
  • tailwindhome
    Due to the lack of footfall over the rocks, the Giants Causeway has turned into a rockery

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Dolphins are now frequenting the ports in Istanbul due to the lack of shipping.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited May 2020
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

If it was sacrificing historical accuracy for the sake of a good joke then I would forgive the ignorance.

How can so many people idolise Churchill so much yet have so little knowledge of 90% of his life.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

If it was sacrificing historical accuracy for the sake of a good joke then I would forgive the ignorance.

How can so many people idolise Churchill so much yet have so little knowledge of 90% of his life.
    Who knew Brits had a penchant for posh functioning alcoholics who had tendencies to wing it and distrust foreigners, eh?

• coopster_the_1st

I have you down for 1, 2, 3, 6 & 9. Want to own up to any others?
  • rick_chasey

I have you down as one of those idiots who thinks Dunkirk was a wonderful victory, in fairness.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

I have you down as one of those idiots who thinks Dunkirk was a wonderful victory, in fairness.
    At least we were able to successfully lockdown the country after that one, eh?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2020
    I get the feeling Coopster hit the inner and outer bullseye with his WWII joke :)
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Only a number of them?
    You do know the PM did actually lose his job over this for #2 and #9, right? He had done such a bad job he got ousted by his own party and Churchill had to step in.

• Stevo_666
    edited May 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Only a number of them?
    You do know the PM did actually lose his job over this for #2 and #9, right? He had done such a bad job he got ousted by his own party and Churchill had to step in.

The joke wasn't about Churchill. I can recommend some good online self awareness courses if that will help :smile:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

Stevo_666 said:

Only a number of them?

Are you sure?
    I thought that the air raids on Britain didn't start until after Dunkirk and the London blitz didn't start until the German focus moved away from RAF bases, in September 1940.
    I thought Chamberlain jumped before he was pushed because the opposition parties wouldn't play ball with him.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Only a number of them?

Are you sure?
    I thought that the air raids on Britain didn't start until after Dunkirk and the London blitz didn't start until the German focus moved away from RAF bases, in September 1940.
    I thought Chamberlain jumped before he was pushed because the opposition parties wouldn't play ball with him.....
    Appeasement was not a popular strategy. He had botched the diplomacy, was botching the military response. Ergo, he had to go.

It annoys me there is this fantasy that somehow leaders of the past never had any criticism, as if people were different to who they are now.

They're not. People react the same to things en mass in history, as a general rule.

Here's a question - which part of the society and the press would be pushing for appeasement if it was happening now?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Stevo_666 said:

I get the feeling Coopster hit the inner and outer bullseye with his WWII joke :)

I was looking for "These bally Germans look quite a difficult opponent, I think we should just give up and let them win, so we can get back to life as normal."

:smiley:
  • rick_chasey
    More on topic.