No Red Bike

A number of crossings near my home have a red man, a green man and a green bike, but no red bike. The green man and the green bike always light up together. Does that mean a cyclist is allowed to use his discretion to cycle through the red man across the pedestrian (zebra) crossing because there is no red bike to prohibit him?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    What country are you in? In the UK, the red man doesn't prohibit pedestrians from using the crossing, it simply says that you don't have the advantage of a red light for the road traffic, you can still cross if the road is clear and safe. As there's a green bike, it's clear that the crossing can be used by a bike as well, so you're not trying to cycle on a footpath.
  • labarum
    labarum Posts: 110
    I am in UK. The crossings are principally pedestrian crossings, with red and green man. As I said, zebra crossings. But they are used by cyclists. From what you say the green bike is to advise that bikes may use the crossing at the same time as pedestrians. There is no red man and therefore nothing to prohibit a cyclist from crossing at any time at their discretion. That is how I have always interpreted it.
  • labarum
    labarum Posts: 110
    Confirmed: Cyclecraft page 199

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toucan_crossing#cite_note-2

Though the the latest Toucan Crossings do have a Red Bike, which must be obeyed.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696
    labarum said:

I am in UK. The crossings are principally pedestrian crossings, with red and green man. As I said, zebra crossings. But they are used by cyclists. From what you say the green bike is to advise that bikes may use the crossing at the same time as pedestrians. There is no red man and therefore nothing to prohibit a cyclist from crossing at any time at their discretion. That is how I have always interpreted it.

As you will already know hopefully, the Highway Code states:

Rule 79
    Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.

Rule 80
    Toucan crossings
    . These are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time. They are push-button operated. Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.

Rule 81
    Cycle-only crossings
    . Cycle tracks on opposite sides of the road may be linked by signalled crossings. You may ride across but you MUST NOT cross until the green cycle symbol is showing.

Rule 64
    You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
    Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A sect 129

I think this answers you question, I would advise you to follow these rules