Paint chips. Any tips?

reaperactual
reaperactual Posts: 1,185
edited May 2020 in MTB general
Had my bike for for 5 months. Leaned it against a metal bench and wind moved it and caused a couple of decent size paint chips on top tube and seat tube and looks a mess close up after I applied one coat. :#

I only have touch up paint to rectify and wondered if anyone has tips on how and if I can get it back to a good finish?

Could I build up with a couple of coats to make surface level and maybe a gentle T-cut to make it like you wouldn't know it had happened?

Is this even possible with only touch up paint? Please feel free to tell me to live with it as it's not that noticeable unless close up!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Nail varnish gives more chance of matching colour.
    Then a clear lacquer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    edited May 2020
    If it is gloss finish it is possible to get the repair you want but it will take a bit more than a rub with T cut. Look on Youtube for repairing chips in car paintwork. However if you had the expertise required you would not have posted here. You need a mate who has worked in a car bodyshop. If you want to have go practice on something else first.
    Your best option is a bit of nail varnish and live with it. :)
  • reaperactual
    Thanks. No expertise but I'll have a go at anything so will look on You Tube and practise first.

If all goes wrong I'll live with it for year or two then go for the manufacturer re spray. Acid dip, detailed inspection, full powder coat and fresh decal service for £200. Thanks all for your advice!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    From your initial post, you refer to a touch up kit, which I assume is the correct colour. Brace yourself! You will never get it perfect.

I took my car to the Audi main dealer along with my Audi touch up kit. They got the top paint technician out to use my touch up kit to fill in a paint chip on the bonnet.
    So I have the absolutely correct kit, applied by absolutely the correct expert, and he took his time. And I can still see it! OK, I know where it is and it is in the middle of a great shiny expanse of perfection, but my wife has to look hard to find it.

Key thing is to take your time, use a very fine brush, not the big blunt ended floor brush that comes with most touch up kits. The Audi one is a needle! Take several days, a bit at a time to slowly build it up. You will then have done the best you can and most importantly have protected the sub-surface from corrosion, chemical attack, whatever. If you still cannot live with it the only thing to do until a rub down and respray is to put a sticker on top of it. Nobody will see it then!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Now. If only there were a thread on decals. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • reaperactual
    Take several days, a bit at a time to slowly build it up. You will then have done the best you can and most importantly have protected the sub-surface from corrosion, chemical attack, whatever.

Like things right but not going to get silly about it. Bikes are for riding and battle scars are inevitable I suppose. Kicking myself it happened sooner rather than later and rather it was done while crashing through a rock garden instead of the wind blowing it over onto a bench! Lol :smiley:

Give me an excuse to get out of the living room. If the Wife nags I'll tell her Steve told me I had to take my time over several days! Win, win! :smiley: Cheers Steve!

As always, I appreciate all your comments and thank you for your thoughts.