Rim joint of of line

After a mishap inflating tyres today I think I may have jolted the rim join on my rear wheel. Is this worthy of repair or would I need to consider replacing the rim or for less hassle get a new rear wheel?

Thanks

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    They are supposed to be welded joints! That looks like a serious failure. If the wheel is less than two years old, you should be able to get a warranty claim.

I would definitely not ride it. There is a lot of stress on a bike wheel and it is only strong when all the bits are sound, otherwise it is quite fragile. Can you imagine cornering at speed or on a rough downhill when that rim gives way?

In any case those sharp edges will destroy your tube.
  • Got to agree. That rim is FUBARED.
  • MisterBump
    MisterBump Posts: 8
    Thanks. I over inflated a tyre and it popped off the rim going tubeless for the first time. Could that have done it or must there been a stress on it already?

New wheel time. Looked at getting a new rim but it looks like a massive faff building the wheel and as I can't even put a tyre on without disaster I might be giving that a miss.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

Thanks. I over inflated a tyre and it popped off the rim going tubeless for the first time. Could that have done it or must there been a stress on it already? ..........

If the rim was OK to start with, I can't see how over inflating the tyre would do that. Maybe it failed and because of that you lost air from your tubeless tyre and then the tyre came off. The time interval would have felt instantaneous, so it would be easy to mix up what caused what.

By the way, the photo you included showed a rim without any rim tape, so I'm assuming that you stripped it all off the get a better look at the site of the failure. The edges of the holes above the spokes look a bit sharp too!

Do the edges of the rim joint actually move side to side, or are they still welded? If still welded that implies the rim was badly welded from the start and should never have been let out of the factory! :s
  • MisterBump
    MisterBump Posts: 8
    Cheers for the reply Steve. I had removed the rim tape to inspect the damage. When putting on the tape I hadn't noticed any damage, not to say it wasn't there, but definitely not as pronounced as the misaligned rim after. Unfortunately the bike is out of warranty. I got the Bike from a firm called Cyclescheme who sold lots of heavily discounted bikes, had lots of poor reviews (these only emerged after I bought the bike at the tail end of 2017) and eventually went bust.