Greasing cassette hub splines ...or not.

pete1336
pete1336 Posts: 86
Around 4 yrs ago I bought a set of Cero AR30 wheels. I still have them. Last time I changed the cassette on rear wheel it was very difficult to get off. The hard metal of the cassette had bitten into the softer metal of the free hub body...effectively locking the cassette in place. I'm about to order a replacement free hub and am wondering if I need to apply a little grease when putting the cassette on...in the hope it'll prevent this happening again?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,250
    No need for summer, but useful in winter. Grease won't stop sprockets denting your splines
    left the forum March 2023
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I've always greased the freehub body when replacing the cassette but not sure if it does much or not.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I grease mine on the basis it might do some good and won't do any harm. I picked up a tip from Malcolm at Cycleclinic who used to post a lot here (please come back into the fold Malc I miss your contributions) where really tightening the cassette lockring helps a lot to prevent the gouging. Works for me anyway and I'm 17 stone and pretty powerful. You can get freehub bodies that have hardened steel splines I think but they cost a bit more.