Campag Ultratorque Bearings stuck

daithi_m
daithi_m Posts: 19
Has anyone any experience with difficulty removing Ultratorque bearings? I have one bearing that has come apart when I was removing it so a bit is still stuck on the axle. I'm unable to remove it so far as there's very little for the crank puller to get a grip on. Any advice please?

It's a record chainset so I don't want to just bin it if I can possibly avoid it.

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Dremel very carefully!
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    You don't have to worry about the bearing now, obviously, so I'd get busy with a screwdriver or something else that could lever whatever is left past where it is held on by friction. I'm sure there will be no need to bin the crankset. Can I ask if you removed the split ring retainer above the bearing?
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    A pic might also help.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    As above.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited May 2020
    You are using one of these...

• daithi_m
    Hi All thanks for the responses. I will try to post a picture. Yes was using am icetoolz bearing puller which used successfully before.

Bondurant re ring retainer, think I may have forgotten to remove it which could be what went wrong. Sure I've forgotten to fit the ring retainer on occasion. UT bearings defo not foolproof as I may have demonstrated 🙄
  • lesfirth
    My earlier post was agreeing with flasher. A dremel with a thin cutting disc or a small angle grinder will have it off in no time.
  • daithi_m
    flasher said:

Dremel very carefully!

Tried tentatively a few weeks ago, stopped after brushing against the inside of the carbon spider! Main issue is I don't have access to a vice to hold the chainset in place while I work on it. Still good to know I should be able to remove it somehow 😁 👍
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    you need a suitably equipped and competent bike shop. It will be off in no time.
  • daithi_m
    david37 said:

you need a suitably equipped and competent bike shop. It will be off in no time.

. . . the actress said to the Bishop!
  • lesfirth
    daithi_m said:

flasher said:

Dremel very carefully!

Tried tentatively a few weeks ago, stopped after brushing against the inside of the carbon spider! Main issue is I don't have access to a vice to hold the chainset in place while I work on it. Still good to know I should be able to remove it somehow 😁 👍
    You can use your Black and Decker workmate. If you do not have one ,you should have! Nobody with even the smallest practical streak can go through life without a workmate. :)