Exalith coating wearing off already

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited June 2015 in Road general
I own a set of mavic cosmic carbone sle which came with my Canyon. I bought the bike last June and have covered just over 2000 miles

The bike wasn't used at all in the winter and other than the odd shower and a wet tour of flanders it has only been ridden in the dry. I live in Essex so the majority of my miles are flat with little hard braking

Iv just noticed that two large sections of the exalith coating has worn off on the rear rim. The front looks as new still and I'm still on my first set of pads which altho coming to the end of their life are by no means completely worn.

Has anyone else had this issue? Am I likely to be able to claim on warranty?
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• 99thmonkey
    99thmonkey Posts: 667
    Ive done a few thousands on mine in rain and shine and they are all good, Id look at a warranty claim or speak to Mavic they are usually quite good with stuff
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Is it actually written anywhere that the coat cannot wear off?

It would be daft of Mavic to market a product that is expected to last forever, as that is impossible. 2000 miles is around 10 times more than other anodised coats on the market last.

If you can get a replacement, get it of course, but I still think the expectation is unrealistic as it would also imply the rim should last indefinitely, hence defying friction.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Tjgoodhew
    Is it actually written anywhere that the coat cannot wear off?

It would be daft of Mavic to market a product that is expected to last forever, as that is impossible. 2000 miles is around 10 times more than other anodised coats on the market last.

If you can get a replacement, get it of course, but I still think the expectation is unrealistic as it would also imply the rim should last indefinitely, hence defying friction.

Thanks Ugo,

I guess my issue is that for a £1200 wheelset that is sold on the basis of this hard wearing coating that for it to wear off after 2000 miles - which is 3 months riding for some there must be an issue.
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172

Thanks Ugo,

I guess my issue is that for a £1200 wheelset that is sold on the basis of this hard wearing coating that for it to wear off after 2000 miles - which is 3 months riding for some there must be an issue.

From the Mavic website
    The Mavic exclusive Exalith 2 technology for aluminum rims has been refined to provide a very high level of durability and braking performance in all weather conditions.

You might have a point, although you can only prove how long you owned them, not mileage. Also, you didn't pay 1200 quid for them, which makes a difference in terms of warranty and support. Either way, everyone I know who bought Mavic wheels from a shop got replacement no probs... as part of a bike deal you get less warranty (one year instead of two) but they might still want to accomodate...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Tjgoodhew
    Thanks again

I will give Canyon a call and see how i get on.

I actually received the bike one year and one week ago so fingers crossed
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• Thanks again

I will give Canyon a call and see how i get on.

I actually received the bike one year and one week ago so fingers crossed

Canyon are usually pretty good, I've read that others (very small numbers) have had rims replaced when the Exalith wears off.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802

Thanks Ugo,

From the Mavic website
    The Mavic exclusive Exalith 2 technology for aluminum rims has been refined to provide a very high level of durability and braking performance in all weather conditions.

You might have a point, although you can only prove how long you owned them, not mileage. Also, you didn't pay 1200 quid for them, which makes a difference in terms of warranty and support. Either way, everyone I know who bought Mavic wheels from a shop got replacement no probs... as part of a bike deal you get less warranty (one year instead of two) but they might still want to accomodate...

Also, have you checked that Canyon didn't send the bike out with Mavics that have first gen Exalith?
  • Tjgoodhew

Thanks Ugo,

From the Mavic website

Also, have you checked that Canyon didn't send the bike out with Mavics that have first gen Exalith?

How would i find this out. The bike was the old Aeroad and one of the last available so this could be the case
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• thegreatdivide

Thanks Ugo,

From the Mavic website

How would i find this out. The bike was the old Aeroad and one of the last available so this could be the case

Not 100% sure but I think Exalith 2 was introduced in summer 2013. My RSYS SLRs have a bar code on the rim but there's nothing in the numbers that looks like a date. I seem to remember there being more data on the inside of the rim though.
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    I'm getting a new set of the R SYS SLR to replace my Ksyrium SR and my LBS say Mavic now offer a registration service where they are warranted from all defects (including crash damage? I think) for two years.

The thinking is you sell them after this period and get a new pair to renew the warranty..
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I would consider your braking technique; the front brake is most effective at slowing you down; try using it a bit more!
  • Tjgoodhew
    I would consider your braking technique; the front brake is most effective at slowing you down; try using it a bit more!

Thanks for the advice but I happy enough with my braking technique and rarely use the rear brake which is why im pretty sure something wasnt as it should be

I should add - the wear patches are only on the drive side of the rim. The other side looks as new
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• rdcanyon
    rdcanyon Posts: 1
    Hi all. i had the exact same issue - terrible squealing and also the black surface wearing through to the aluminium. I removed the pads, gave them a light sand and also toe-ed them in with a credit card. This has (thankfully) stopped the squealing. I hope the rims don't wear any more. The main wear was only on the drive side of the rear wheel. That may be down to the pad setup at the wrong angle.
  • drexel1975
    drexel1975 Posts: 70
    I've done more than 5000 miles of riding through all weathers in Scotland on mine and I'm still on the first set of pads. No wear on the Exalith surface to speak of at all.
  • thegreatdivide
    edited May 2020
    I was just thinking about how long I've had my RSYS-SLRs and this thread suddenly gets resurrected.

I was out today on the bike that currently has them fitted. Bought mine at the tail end of 2013, they have the Exalith 2 coating (which Mavic have continued to use right up to now) and god knows how many thousands of miles I've done on them. They've never been used in the winter, but they've had their fair share of soaking wet rides both in the UK and abroad. The hubs are still ridiculously smooth, there have been zero spoke issues, and apart from the odd very tiny stone ding that's taken a bit of the coating off they look as good as the day they were bought. They've been the best wheels I've ever bought!

Reading these comments I reckon these coating issues are probably down to the riders themselves. A few fibs on where and how they were ridden...