Disc rub only when cornering

Hello

I had a problem with disc rub which i managed to sort and it no longer rubs now

However i have noticed occasionally when going round a corner i hear it rub (that metal sound) which is defo coming from the front. Any ideas?

I have had problems doing up the QR when it was rubbing initially. Could it be too loose? Or too tight? I hate those QR's!

Another noob question i know, appreciate any help

Thanks

Mick

Comments

• mickowl
    mickowl Posts: 15
    Thank you

This might sound stupid but if i tighten QR tighter than it is now then the disc rubs all the time even if i just lift up wheel and spin with my hand.

What am i doing wrong?

What is the best way to seat in dropouts?

Could it be the caliper is too loose tight when i have been centering/aligning this?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    It could be wear in the axle or the forks allowing the wheel to flex, which in turn allows the disc to move and rub on the pads. This flex will be most obvious when cornering. If you overtighten the QR, you are squeezing the whole hub assembly and if there is any give it may move the disc over into contact with the pads. Too much clamping pressure is bad for the bearings in the hub.
  • mickowl
    mickowl Posts: 15
    Thanks, how do i know if i have overtightened? I have seen the video above.

Just tinkerer with it again. Dropped the bike into the wheel (didnt turn upside down on seat/handlebars) and still the same. Spins freely when spin by hand and spins freely when in bike stand and i turn the handlebars side to side.

Soon as took it down the street i could hear it when cornering
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited May 2020
    QR levers should tight enough that when you press them down it leaves a mark on your hand. When undoing, it should feel tight and some effort but you shouldn't have to strain. Clark Kent tight, not Superman tight. :)

If it still doing it then you may have to face the fact that something is badly worn, or the whole thing is just too flexible. :(