WTB tcs 2.0 rims

Hi,

trying to convert to tubeless on my new Whyte 901. The wtb i35 rims are tubeless ready and so are the tyres. The rims are also tcs 2.0; I’ve attached a picture of how the rim came stock. Comparing it to a wtb tubeless install video it seems like the rim is already tubeless taped with a red band protecting the spoke holes beneath it.

Just asking if someone can confirm wether I do or don’t need to tape the rims again before adding sealant and inflating. (Bike also came with tubeless valves which would nicely plug the hole made from the inner tube’s valve in the picture).

Cheers

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It looks fine.
  • explorerhaz
    explorerhaz Posts: 17
    edited May 2020
    Cheers. Will try with a compressor then. May just take a bit of time to seal around the valve hole👍
  • explorerhaz
    Did a dry inflate which snapped in nicely. Added the sealant and gone for a quick ride. So far no leaking at all, will leave overnight and check pressures in the morning. Cheers
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited May 2020
    If you find it not holding pressure, do the usual water test. You don't need to insert the entire wheel in the water, as long as one part of the tyre and rim is under water you'll be good to go. If you see air coming from the valve seat, you'd think that the sealant should seal that eventually. So give some help by shaking the wheel so that sealant can get to it. No success? Remove one side of the tyre and withdraw the valve. Clean it up and wrap some ptfe tape around the rubber part, 3 turns should be ok. (PTFE tape, sometimes known as plumbers tape - you'll get it for a quid or so from any DIY store). Push the valve into the hole and give it a tap with a hammer to ensure it is seated. Tighten the valve collar.

If the rim/bead interface is leaking, increase the tyre pressure, give the wheel a good horizontal shake and place the wheel onto a bucket, plant pot, or whatever, so that the sealant can settle onto the bead. Leave it for 30 mins, repeat with the wheel the other way up. The process is complete when there is either no pressure loss or it is minimal (it will get better as you ride).

If sealant is emerging from that tiny hole in the rim, your rim tape is leaking and needs replacing. Strip it off and replace with Gorilla tape, less than £3 from Amazon. My bike shop uses it and so do I.
  • explorerhaz
    Have a roll of gorilla tape coming👍 Hopefully shouldn’t need it. Still had no leaking anywhere and pressures remained. Think it helps that the rim and tyres were brand new. Oh and a tractor sized air compressor does the trick😂
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I hope your rims don't need it, but having a roll of Gorilla tape on hand is always useful. :)