tuesday it was the time of the preacher in the year of o one

'ning

ride, coffee, nyt, webexes, deep thought, action

keeping an eye on upcoming weather, blocking out potential basking times
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, nice clear blue skies, it feels colder though , not much change in the routine for me, as a matter of fact I will go out and feed the birds know rather than later
    Have a good day
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141

Morning, nice clear blue skies

oxoman said:

Bright and dry out

Dull and cloudy here. Forecast says sunbathing weather later though so might nip out later and try and find somewhere that isn't full of people.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    oxoman said:

Thistle I'd forget about trying to find somewhere quiet to ride, on my normal commute home yesterday I came across at least 30 riders I've never come across before in over 2yrs doing the same route, normally only come across a couple at most.

Managed a quietish ride on Sunday, but it was at 7.30am: had to pass 2 fat blokes on MTBs taking up most of the main road. The main roads were deserted, but the side roads were busy - weird.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    Sun was out playing, but is currently hiding.

Gentle run in virtual circles in the woods to give the dogs a decent run. Hopefully work will be less manic today so I can get a ride in the sun before I make the most of the scaffolding I’ve borrowed from a mate so I can paint some knackered wood and windows
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    it's really windy here, and even more traffic, almost like the old days on a few roads

i foresee more coffee
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,316
    Doesn't feel like a Wednesday.

Slightly breezy but bright and dry so far. Must go for walk with toots, do schoolwork*.

*There's a 10 minute live lesson with Paddington at 11 apparently.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    pinno said:

Doesn't feel like a Wednesday.

Hopefully not otherwise I've missed a day.

Another day, another dollar...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,002
    More working at the kitchen island, riding didn't go according to plan thins morning. It didn't go at all after a crappy nights slep and feeling tired.

I'm getting bored of this virus malarkey now...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    Utterly cracking autumn day and ended up spending most of it out doing errands and cr@p stuff. Grrrr.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    Go on, put me out of my misery.
    It was the time of the preacher...
    Where does that come from?
    I'm sure I have it here somewhere.
    Google only throws up Willie Nelson, but it was used somewhere else too. Was it in a film?
    Thought it might be Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but it ain't.
    I'm wracking my brains to remember it.
    Help, pretty please.
    Frank Yates
  • Edge of Darkness used it.
    Wonderful TV film. Quite old now but still a good watch. Zoe Wannamaker and Joanne Whalley. Lovely.
    Bob Peck and Joe Dan Baker great acting.
    Love the bit in the mine.
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    Yes indeed. It was.
    Got it on DVD.
    Must watch it again as there is sweet FA on TV apart from virus chatter.
    Frank Yates
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    'noon

Stripped down and rebuilt the bike today (new cables, new headset), fettled the chain and cassette with my new ultrasonic cleaner.

Off for a run in half an hour.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517

Edge of Darkness used it.
    Wonderful TV film. Quite old now but still a good watch. Zoe Wannamaker and Joanne Whalley. Lovely.
    Bob Peck and Joe Dan Baker great acting.
    Love the bit in the mine.

yep

there're at least two versions of the lyrics, jedburgh's preference and mine...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFsCM-yJP50
  • Darius Jedburgh. Wonderful name.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Afternoon folks,
    Another dull day of wfh was broken up a little when a woman that lives some way down the road knocked on the door and asked if I'd get rid of a dead rat from her garden. Apparently a few of them had talked about it and decided I was the man for the job. So got hold of the lad, a couple of bin bags and some gloves and off we went. Got there to find it was still breathing, but it wasn't very lively. Bopped it on the head with a shovel, scooped it into the bags and the lad dumped it in a bin. As we were leaving a bloke the lives a couple of doors away from her asked if we'd dealt with the rat. Considering he clearly knew about it and it would have been in his garden too shouldn't he have done it?
    Anyway, got a bottle of red for our trouble.
    Other than that I've fettled a couple of wheels when I should have been working. Might have a glass or two of red tonight.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,671
    Round these parts the red kites would have had that rat away soon as, still breathing or not. Handy to have airborne scavengers on hand at all (daylight) times.
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2020
    The foxes mop up small injured creatures around our way pretty efficiently. That said they don't come into our garden too often these days, must smell of dog quite strongly.

Speaking of which, we just shaved Gnasher as he was starting to look like a mop. It's Muttley's turn tomorrow.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    We have sparrowhawks here, take out the pigeons, good on them for that, and all that is left is a strew of feathers. No messy bits.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

The foxes that come around ours just take the head and leave the body, arghh. OH hates it when she goes to put washing out and finds a headless pigeon.

Sounds like we have a better class of fox round here Oxo, they tidy up after themselves.
  • pinno
    Ben6899 said:

'noon

Stripped down and rebuilt the bike today (new cables, new headset), fettled the chain and cassette with my new ultrasonic cleaner.

Off for a run in half an hour.

Ooh an Ultrasonic cleaner...
    Good?

That Sparrow Hawk/Pigeon thing reminded me to post in the cheer you up thread.
  • orraloon
    To continue a thread, was at my daughter's late pm, sort out some stuff plus put the strimmer over the dandelion hay meadow which is her back garden.

She pointed out some foreign object which turned out to be a large piece of pork skin / crackling lying on the ground. How did that get there? Did the red kites drop it as unsatisfactory? Who knows. Anyway gloved hand binned it off.

20 minutes later there were 3 red kites hanging around at low below rooftop level looking for something and obvs not happy. Too late suckers.
  • pinno
    Bad 'Loon.