Moving to a bigger front rotor

Hi all,

I have recently bought a 2016 Cube Reaction Pro, but the brakes need an upgrade.

I have purchased a Shimano MT501 for the front, the bike has a 180mm rotor at the front and i was thinking of going up to a bigger rotor, the bike has Fox Evolution 32 Floats, is this doable and if so which if any adaptor would i need in order to make this all work.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Does the 180mm rotor that is fitted now have an adaptor already or is caliper fitted straight onto post mount of forks?
  • Does the 180mm rotor that is fitted now have an adaptor already or is caliper fitted straight onto post mount of forks?

The caliper mounts direct to fork with no adaptor mate
  • reaperactual
    Make sure to buy a Shimano 203mm rotor then you will need this +23mm adaptor:- Shimano
    SM-MA-F203P/PM Adapter Front (180mm) to 203mm
  • Make sure to buy a Shimano 203mm rotor then you will need this +23mm adaptor:- Shimano
    SM-MA-F203P/PM Adapter Front (180mm) to 203mm

I'm assuming that the XT ice rotor will be ok, my old disc is a 6 bolt, so I was thinking of ordering the XT ice rotor 6 bolt fitment and hoping that it will be compatible with the mt501 caliper.
  • reaperactual
    Compatible, yes as long as 203mm.

Ice tech rotor will work but you won't get any benefit of the icetech cooling technology without having icetech brakes and cooling fin pads to go with them.

Would recommend savings yourself some cash and going for standard Shimano rotors, RT66's are the best before the next level up of icetech's.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    6-bolt is standard.
    Shimano also do a lock ring type, same as secures the cassette.

The new rotor will need bedding in with the old pads. For best results, put some 80-100 grit sandpaper on a fat surface and rub the pads over it in a circular motion to flatten the pads. Then refit the pads and then bed in your brakes. Google Bedding in mtb brakes.
  • Thanks all for the input, really appreciate it. I've ordered the mount and a 203mm rotor. Any issues I'll post back.