Rear hydro's, lever travel?

Had three sets of hydraulic brakes over the last few years. Tektro M290's, Shimano M395's and now SLX M7000's.

All sets perform fine and bite points consistent around a third of overall lever travel and fronts always the same, no complaints!

All sets of rear brakes (once been used a few times out on the trails) bite point is shorter every so often (around a fifth of lever travel) and actually a nice, solid feel! No change in performance or anything else but wondered if it's common?

I would say it has nothing to do with bleeding or set up. Maybe some sort of heat build up expansion or because rear hoses are longer than fronts?

Not looking at this as a problem that needs to be fixed would just like to hear your take on it or if anyone has experienced the same thing?

Comments

• I've always found the same with any hydros I've ever fitted with the exception of Hope.....
    But they had braided hoses...... could well be down to pipe flex due to being a longer hose.....
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Thanks for the response and your thoughts Pal. Pipe flex makes sense being a rear brake only thing.

Good to know I'm not the only one who had this symptom.

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I have always found the reverse! In other words, when there was a difference, the rear has had the longer lever travel.

Back to your issue.
    If it was hose flex, you'd think that the longer hose on the rear would deliver the longer lever travel, not the front as reported. It may be something else, but I don't know what.
    Is it that more air gets trapped in the front, requiring a longer lever travel to get the correct compression? Nope, that doesn't sound right either because the hose route is almost vertical and the front brake is always easier to bleed than the rear.
    As I say, I don't know what it could be caused by.
  • Thanks for the response and your thoughts Pal. Pipe flex makes sense being a rear brake only thing.

Good to know I'm not the only one who had this symptom.

I think braided hoses may be the way forward, funny because I was out crashing/riding the other day and I noticed there was a bit more travel on mine....... more spending.....lol
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Wow, thanks for all your thoughts steve_sordy, jamiecrossley.

As I said not really a problem. The intermittent rear brake feeling is actually such a great, solid positive lever feel and bite that made me re-bleed a few times to try to make it permanent!

Even though all my brakes have been fine as they are got me thinking that 'normal' wasn't good enough and maybe there was something I could do better with fitting or bleeds.

Hearing your differing views of opposite things happening (fronts rather than rears) and longer lever travel makes me think about not getting too hung up on slight differences in performance.

No system is perfect and I should be happy they work all worked really well overall.

Thank you both for your input and sharing your experiences.