Front Derailleur Setup

rwoofer
rwoofer Posts: 222
I always thought that I could setup derailleurs well and in operation my front derailleurs on all 4 of my bikes do indeed work well. However one thing bugs me. Front derailleurs have 4 indexed positions, 2 for the big ring and two for the small ring. I find that when I adjust it so that it works perfectly for the big ring, but by the time I move to the small ring and click once more nothing futher happens ie. I don't get the fourth position. I don't get any rubbing in either the big ring or small ring on the cassette. The issue seems to be that the front derailleur inner limiter, even when completely retracted means the derailler simply cannot move further inboard even though the cable is slack. The same things happens on my complete R8000 Ultegra and R9100 Dura Ace groupsets.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong, as I just can't figure out why Shimano would provide a feature that I seem unable to use.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    When you drop from the outer ring to be inner, the mech does not step through the trim settings one by one, but drops to the innermost setting.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    For me, it doesn't seem to be doing that. After dropping to lower ring, I still have a click to go, which makes the cable go very slack. I will check again to see if age hasn't rotted my memory.