Old (vintage) bottom bracket replacement

Hi all,

A friend of mine recently donated to me a late 90s Orange MTB frame. I'm in the process of cleaning it up for restoration and removed the BB as the spindle wasn't spinning particularly well.
The BB is a Shimano BB-LP27 (BC 1.37 x 24), and I was wondering if I need to buy like-for-like, or can I get a new modern one that has the same spec? If that's the case, then does anyone here recommend a particular model?
Cheers. :)

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Those numbers mean nothing to me, do you mean it's an old style with loose balls and an adjustable cup on one side or old as in square taper with cartridge bearings? I'm guessing it's not so old the cranks are attached with cotter pins.
    If loose ball you may be able to clean, regrease and go. If it has cartridge bearings you may be able to replace the bearings but most likely you will need another similar bottom bracket. Just make sure you get one with the same length axle.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1.37x24 is a normal English threaded.

You can use squaretaper, octalink, Powerspline, Isis or an extrenal BB like HT2, GXP or BB30 (threaded version) with the right crank.

I'm guessing your retro (1990's is not vintage) will have a cartridge style square taper so you need to match the BB shell width (almost certainly 68mm, may be 73mm) and axle width. (118, 122/123 or 127 are the usual sizes). Personally I'd get a Shimano UN73, inexpensive, reliable and readily available.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

1.37x24 is a normal English threaded.

You can use squaretaper, octalink, Powerspline, Isis or an extrenal BB like HT2, GXP or BB30 (threaded version) with the right crank.

I'm guessing your retro (1990's is not vintage) will have a cartridge style square taper so you need to match the BB shell width (almost certainly 68mm, may be 73mm) and axle width. (118, 122/123 or 127 are the usual sizes). Personally I'd get a Shimano UN73, inexpensive, reliable and readily available.

Wot rookie said but measure the width of the bottom bracket with a calliper to be sure.