Best Retailers North West/Midlands

Evening all,

I'm looking to buy my first pair of road bike shoes but would prefer to try on a few pairs first rather than ordering from Wiggle, Tredz etc.

I have been looking at either Fizik or Specialized but struggling to find a decent shop that has a wide range of stock. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm in Stoke on Trent and happy to travel an hour or so.

Thanks,

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Have you heard about the lockdown?
    left the forum March 2023
  • skwarczek
    skwarczek Posts: 75

Evening all,

I'm looking to buy my first pair of road bike shoes but would prefer to try on a few pairs first rather than ordering from Wiggle, Tredz etc.

I have been looking at either Fizik or Specialized but struggling to find a decent shop that has a wide range of stock. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm in Stoke on Trent and happy to travel an hour or so.

Thanks,

Need to work out your actual shoe size before you go ordering or looking for pairs to try.

Stick your foot on a piece of paper, draw around it and take length and width measurements. Then look for shoes based on those dimensions.

I made the mistake of going for Fizik just because and they caused my right foot some issues due to being to narrow (Have wide feet) Now have a pair of shoes that fit my feet and hey presto, pain issues be gone.

• Even large shops will have a limited range of makes and sizes. I did some research and ordered 6 pairs from Wiggle then sent 5 back
    I want to climb hills so badly;
    and I climb hills so badly
  • Unfortunately, I think shoes are one of those things you have to suck-n-see. What feels "right", in the comfort (and return safety), of your carpeted house may feel totally different once you start riding. Too wide/ narrow, too stiff, flexy etc....

Certain brands are renowned for suiting narrower feet, others wider. Of the two you mention, I think Fizik come up relatively narrow? Specialized the opposite. I've used S-Works shoes for years now, and they suit me even though they too have altered their style/ widths over the years somewhat. They're also incredibly stiff which may or may not suit everyone, although of course they have a wide range of models with varying degrees of stiffness.

Had some Lake and DMT previous to S-Works and they were also nice. All very subjective unfortunately.

Sidi also renowned to be excellent, but favouring narrower feet...

But yep, I'd order online and return. Obvs just make damn sure you don't mark the soles or fit cleats etc.