XC MTB - need help

I'm looking at getting a new MTB for general riding including trails, pathways, roads to work and the occasional ride around Swinley Forest is as extreme as I'll go.

I'm ideally looking for a light bike that will be comfortable and fast.

So far I've looked at the following:

Canyon Exceed
Canyon Lux (I'm not sure on the small rear shock and weight increases)
Trek Procaliber 9.7 (think this is the best model in the UK)
Trek Supercaliber (same as the Lux I'm concerned the rear shock is not needed)
Specialized Epic
Scott Scale
Santa Cruz Highball

My budget is between £2k-£4k I'd rather it was closer to £3k than £4k and I will be buying via cycle to work scheme. It sounds nuts but I would like something that looks good, big bold paint colours is all good, it puts me off the Canyons in my price bracket as they are black or red when their team bikes have amazing techni colour finishes.

Obviously I can't go and test any at the moment so I'm looking for advice from people who know way more than me, ideally own any of the above or have any advice.

Also if there's any recommendations for bike stores to buy from, I did contact Sigma earlier and they recommended the Trek and Specialized.

Thanks
J

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which cycle to work scheme does your company use? This may limit your options somewhat.
    Is it a scheme that allows you to 'buy' (rent strictly of course) bikes over £1000 on the scheme? If the saving is only on the first £1000 (with topping up) it's a big risk for a relatively small saving.
    For most your uses (including Swinley) you would be massively overbiked on most of those.
    I'd be looking at something more like one of these for your use.
    HT https://www.decathlon.co.uk/xc-100-mountain-bike-nx-eagle-29-id_8405350.html
    FS https://www.decathlon.co.uk/xc-900s-full-suspension-carbon-mountain-bike-29-id_8545706.html
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's my company so I can go with whatever scheme and I can also set the terms.

I tend to always buy the best I can afford, I've already got an old Cube Ltd Pro but want to replace it with something new, lighter and nicer.

So I'm happy to spend between £2-£4k on a new models it's just which brand and model to consider.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's your own company you don't need to use a scheme at all and just buy it on the companies books and lease it to the 'employee', saves on the provider admin fee (that's how my BIL does it).

So have a look at the Rockriders, ideal for what you want and great value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.