Upgrading

Hi., I’m wanting to know what upgrades would work ie. crank , bottom bracket. Really don’t like current Hollowtech crank so I’m asking if anyone has any info on maybe upgrading from 3x9 to 1x11 and would the xt chainset from Crc work with this bike.? And the current bb is es25 73mm shell so would need m800 bb ,again would this fit?many thanks and look forward to any views as Iv been going round in circles !

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited April 2020
    "would the xt chainset from Crc work with this bike.?"
    What bike is it?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just put a single ring on your current cranks?

Not sure what you dislike about the current hollowtech (presumably you mean hollowtech 2) crank yet like about new XT?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Yes as already mentioned just replace the chainring on the current crank. plenty of 104bcd size chainrings about.

check the size first, I just assumed the size as its a pretty common size.

bottom bracket is it worn as no real need to replace if its not.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Hollowtech II is a brilliant system. I prefer the H2 bottom brackets above all others. <3
  • I've just upgraded from 2 x 9 to 1 X 11 XT. Large 46 ring on the cassette. So much simpler and love it so far. Only cost around £200 to do.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I’ve gone from 3x8 to 1x11 and it’s a big improvement. Couldn’t reuse my crankset as the chain rings were riveted on so that was an expense I didn’t expect but the rest was relatively inexpensive. 11-42 on the rear and a 32 tooth front now.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    And when you fit a dropper, you now have space to put the the remote lever on the left and you have a nice and tidy bar. :)
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    I had 3x9, now 1x11 with new bike rather than an upgrade. Agree about the simplicity, tidy and non cluttered cockpit, no front mech.

Raceface bb (similar to Hollowtech II) from square taper sooo much better and easier to take apart for service and/or replacement stiffer and solid design.

Only negative I noticed at first is top speed when going fast on level ground not having the big front chain ring. Soon forget about that as rarely do all out speed while pedalling.

Lowest climbing gear is the same ratio with 12 tooth difference suits me great so don't feel the need to ever go 1x12 with that massive 50 tooth cog.

Love my (Sram NX 11-42 SLX mech and shifter) 1x11 and never going back to triple set up again.🤘👍
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Being avante garde I went 1x back in 2010, just 1x9, with a 32T chainring and a 11:32 I could ride anywhere I wanted (26" wheels). I used a chain guide back then but now an NW ring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.