Canyon Endurace or BMC Roadmachine?

Ohiorider
Ohiorider Posts: 3
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Looking to upgrade from my current Fuji road bike and have narrowed my choices to the Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 aero Di2 or the BMC Roadmachine 02 ONE Di2. I'm definitely looking for a fun, comfortable bike that will be used primarily for group rides. I'm 54 and not a racer by any means. Canyon Endurace seems to market themselves as endurance bikes with a racier edge and BMC Roadmachine a bit of the opposite -- racier bikes with an endurance edge. Has anyone ridden both? Lots of +/- to each...BMC is more expensive but I would be able to test ride one at my LBS whereas Canyon would be mail order. I could also get the BMC serviced where I purchased it -- I'm not very handy. I like the looks of both and both would fit. Thoughts on which bike might be best for me? I think I'm leaning a bit towards the Canyon as the reviews I've read make it sound more smooth and comfortable than the Roadmachine, but I'm nervous as hell about ordering a bike without a test ride. Thanks!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You might want to re-consider the Canyon in terms of its availability. Currently, the US site is showing 'low stock' for L and 2XL, and 'no stock' for all other sizes (depending on colour choice), with no indication of when they might be available. Same/similar situation on the Eu website as well.

If you've narrowed it down to those two, I'd go for the BMC.
  • Yep...you are right. I think the 2020 Canyons should be coming out soon. I'd probably wait for the new models before pulling the trigger.
  • Did you make a final decision between these two? I've found myself split between exactly the same two bikes. I test rode the RoadMachine today and was a bit surprised at the lack of "endurance feel", and sluggishness to get going and on hills. I'm in the same situation that the BMC is in a local shop (though available much cheaper online), but I can't test a Canyon.
  • pacz
    pacz Posts: 6
    I'm in this same position. Local shop recommending BMC. The options of the bike sizes and colors are getting limited. Thinking of waiting to see what new colors might come out in the summer. Would love to hear what was decided here. Thanks!
    @mark.roberts @Ohiorider
  • fiverears
    fiverears Posts: 38
    I think the BMC uses BB30, in which case I would avoid like the plague.
  • I went for the BMC. I figured I can ride it now, and tweak it to my liking over the summer, rather than wait until July for the Endurace. If I don't like the BMC I can always sell it (and even keep the Canyon on order until I decide).

It's a nice bike. Feels a bit slow at the moment, but that could be a combination of my post-winter fitness decline, and the rather lame Vittoria Rubino tyres it has. I'll change them to Contis at the first opportunity. DI2 is nice to have, and it's definitely smoother than my old aluminium Lapierre running 23mm tyres. But that old bike des feel faster. We'll see what a tyre change and a some training does.
  • fiverears said:

I think the BMC uses BB30, in which case I would avoid like the plague.

It's PF86.