Help for a 1x12 system

Will this work...
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx-m7100-1x12-transmission-groupset-181093.html

On this bike, im pretty new to all this you see, what would i need to buy ect..

https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-aim-race-2018-mountain-bike-EV318712

And is it worth doing ?

Thanks

Comments

• I recently upgraded the suntour xcm to the rock shox recon rl
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Most of it can be. The most likely BB you would need is the one which is out of stock at Merlin, so you would need to source that. The bigger problem would the the rear hub - It needs to have a special kind of freehub body, which isn't available for all hubs. The best case would be that you could change the freehub, the worst case would be that you would need a new rear wheel. 1x11 would be easier and cheaper, and can give almost as big of a range with the right cassette.
  • Most of it can be. The most likely BB you would need is the one which is out of stock at Merlin, so you would need to source that. The bigger problem would the the rear hub - It needs to have a special kind of freehub body, which isn't available for all hubs. The best case would be that you could change the freehub, the worst case would be that you would need a new rear wheel. 1x11 would be easier and cheaper, and can give almost as big of a range with the right cassette.

Hi thanks for the reply, any chance you could link me to a site with a 1x11 system around £200 if possible
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    What crankset do you have on the bike, you can save money there if it will take a standard size 104bcd chainring.

Then you would only need the chain, cassette, rear mech and shifter.

12speed shimano requires a microspline freehub not all wheels are compatible with this.

Do you really need a 12speed setup? good 1x11 setup something like an slx rear mech and shifter and maybe a sunrace 11-46t cassette and kmc chain?

There is plenty of options about.
  • It as this crankset Shimano FC-TY501, 42x34x24T, 170mm

Basic crappy one lol

Its got all basic parts just wanna upgrade it a little
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd look at getting some decent used parts and going 1x11, if I add up what i spent on my current 1x11 drivetrain it comes to £170 but nearly half of that was the SRAM X0 carbon cranks and a new direct mount chainring, so you could probably do it for a lot less. (Decent SLX sell for less than £20 on Ebay).
    I have an XT cassette and shifter, SLX rear mech, KMC chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'd look at getting some decent used parts and going 1x11, if I add up what i spent on my current 1x11 drivetrain it comes to £170 but nearly half of that was the SRAM X0 carbon cranks and a new direct mount chainring, so you could probably do it for a lot less. (Decent SLX sell for less than £20 on Ebay).
    I have an XT cassette and shifter, SLX rear mech, KMC chain.

I will look into it, thanks 👍🏻
  • Also would the cable need replacing ? It runs through the frame on mine you see ? Would it be a hard job ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The inner will need replacing, obviously, but the outer cables should be fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.