Worried about my Etap

With all this time on my hands to cycle, fiddle with bikes and ponder I have become concerned about the SRAM Etap I have on my good weather bike.

I fitted it nearly 3.5 years ago and I've ridden over 12000 miles.

Its had new jockey wheel and the occasional squirt of GT85 on the joints.

It still works reliably and the battery lasts 5-600 miles between charges but I just wonder what its life expectancy is.

Has anyone similar experience with Etap?

I think the problem is if it does fail I'm into a lot of expense to sort it out.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Life is too short to worry about something that has not happened and may not become a problem.
    Mine has not been fitted for as long as that but it was underwater for a a couple of days during the floods in Spain last year and worked fine after a good clean and wipe down, even the battery charger still worked. I have not even had to re index or make any other adjustments to the Etap and would gladly have it fitted again as for me it is worth the money but others may disagree.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I do remember your story about the flood - it means the seals are good - and you are right I should not worry :-)
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I've had my eTap for just over 3 years and the RD has just started to drain batteries very quickly (within 4 or 5 days). I can carry a spare battery so I can live with it, but I contacted SRAM and they said they'd look at it under warranty if I'm the original owner and the unit is in decent condition even though the warranty is only for 2 years. Problem is there are no SRAM dealers open to deal with a warranty claim at the minute, but still very decent service!
  • paulbnix
    bobones said:

I've had my eTap for just over 3 years and the RD has just started to drain batteries very quickly (within 4 or 5 days). I can carry a spare battery so I can live with it, but I contacted SRAM and they said they'd look at it under warranty if I'm the original owner and the unit is in decent condition even though the warranty is only for 2 years. Problem is there are no SRAM dealers open to deal with a warranty claim at the minute, but still very decent service!

Which country are you located?
  • bobones
    UK. I called the UK service centre and emailed SRAM in the US and got the same story from both.
  • paulbnix
    That's good.
  • bobones
    Maybe you'll sleep better now :)
  • paulbnix
    :)