Support as a Cyclist During COVID19

I’m really interested in getting the opinions of cyclists during the COVID-19 lockdown! My name is Dr Adam Coussens, and I am a Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology at Newcastle University.

If you could complete the following relatively short questionnaire that would be much appreciated!

https://nclbiomedical.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3X9vXtT7LXNk9Tv (link is external)

What is the purpose of the study?
This study aims to understand the effects of social isolation across three different timepoints during COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on athletes' psychological wellbeing and perceptions of loneliness.

What are the possible benefits of taking part?
A benefit of participating in the study is that it will allow you to have a better understanding of the stress you might experience during COVID-19, the support available from existing social networks, psychological wellbeing, and any perceived feelings of loneliness.

Will participation in the study be kept confidential?
At no stage will your name be asked or revealed in any part of the study, and no reference will be made which could link you in the study. All information provided will be handled in strict confidence and will be seen only by the researchers.

If you have any questions regarding this research, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you for your time and for completing the questionnaire. Interested to hear your thoughts!

Dr Adam Coussens

Email: adam.coussens@ncl.ac.uk Twitter: @adamcuzz

Comments

• Had a look at the survey. Never got anywhere near completing it. Gave up half way through all the politically correct claptrap at the beginning.
  • As part of conducting research we need to ensure confidentiality. But it's worth persisting with it!

Hopefully a useful way to reflect on the support you may/may not get, and evaluate your own psychological wellbeing. Would really appreciate any help I could get :)
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    It's probably worth highlighting this part before people click through. It doesn't apply to all of us:

You have been invited to participate in the study as you are currently an athlete (sportsman or sportswoman) that plays sport competitively, at least to university/college level. You can either be an individual or team sport athlete, playing for any team/club.
  • mrfpb said:

It's probably worth highlighting this part before people click through. It doesn't apply to all of us:

You have been invited to participate in the study as you are currently an athlete (sportsman or sportswoman) that plays sport competitively, at least to university/college level. You can either be an individual or team sport athlete, playing for any team/club.
    If you cycle somewhat semi-regularly, or are involved with a cycling club, we would still love to hear from you!
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    Adam, have you tried tweeting at all the University (cycling) sport clubs? Like other said, I can't really even share with my local cycling club, most of the regular members are MAMILs who never competed while at University. But you might have some luck on Twitter, by tracking down the road cycling clubs at individual universities. I think UEA has one, for instance.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    If you think your ethics board really require the level of consents you're asking for in an anonymised study, I think you should start by addressing that. No one is going to take the time to read all of that as well as your preamble and then actually complete the study. From a quick glance, pretty well none of it is necessary if the survey remains anonymised, and even if you think it is, you could deal with it in a privacy notice. I'm sure your institution has a DPO who could help you get this right.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Oh, and speaking privately rather than professionally, aren't you making some significantly prejudicial assumptions in your preamble and in the original post asking for respondents? Some respondents might prefer social isolation, or not feel socially isolated, or not find that isolation interferes with their training. I'd have thought you'd want to enter the study with a more neutral attitude.