New Giant TCR 2021

Hello,

Looking for some discussion on the new TCR that Giant just unveiled. I was about to pull the trigger on a 2020 model, but the 2021 upgrades seem like a no-brainer.

Also, I feel like I am missing something, but the 2021 version I am looking at looks cheaper than the 2020 version. What am I missing?

2021 TCR ADVANCED PRO 1 DISC: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-pro-1-disc-2021
2020 TCR ADVANCED PRO TEAM DISC: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-pro-team-disc

Thanks,
417Roadie

Comments

• The new version looks good. Have you read the reviews on the new model?
    I have the 2019 model with di2 it’s a great bike. The new ones is slightly more aero and has the front brake cable routed through the fork. It isn’t radically different though. It does have greater tyre clearance. I run GP5000 28s on mine and don’t think I’d like to run bigger but you could on the new model.

If it was my choice to make it would come down to price and availability. If you can get a grand off the 2020 model ( you should be able to get a healthy discount) it would be a no brainer. How long do you have to wait for a 2021 model?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    Currency fluctuations are the usual reason a new model bike will be cheaper than the previous years. The bike you showed was priced in dollars but I suspect it would work against bikes priced in sterling.

If the prices were the same you're right, it would be a no brainer - but in practical terms the minute the 2021 release dates are announced there will be discounts on 2020 bikes. I'd expect 20-25% if past years are anything to go by (can be more if there are substantial differences in models).
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

Currency fluctuations are the usual reason a new model bike will be cheaper than the previous years. The bike you showed was priced in dollars but I suspect it would work against bikes priced in sterling.

If the prices were the same you're right, it would be a no brainer - but in practical terms the minute the 2021 release dates are announced there will be discounts on 2020 bikes. I'd expect 20-25% if past years are anything to go by (can be more if there are substantial differences in models).

This is usually the case but given that bike shops can't sell bikes fast enough, there may be less unsold stock for the sales this year and hence the discounts won't be as good.