Is this an acceptable way to interpret the rules on exercise away from home.

webboo
webboo Posts: 6,087
Whilst out riding locally I came across 3 people with bikes getting out of a Cliff Pratt Cycles Hull van to go on a ride. When I strongly stated this was wrong and you should not be driving to go and exercise.
I was told the new guidelines say it is ok to drive for exercise as long as the exercise is longer than the drive.
Am I wrong in thinking this is sort of behaviour that will lead to us all having spend the summer on the turbo trainer.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    You might be right, you might be wrong.
    That is the current guidelines though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    edited April 2020
    AFAIK If they are part of the same household and don't interact with anyone else (2m distance), all good.
    If they are 3 friends not of the same household, then they are breaking the guide lines
  • webboo
    It’s more why do you need to drive 10 or 15 miles on a Sunday afternoon to ride your bike. The roads have never been so quiet.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    Maybe both right. It does sound like unnecessary travel.

Did they look likely to have been all housemates?

• diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    webboo said:

It’s more why do you need to drive 10 or 15 miles on a Sunday afternoon to ride your bike. The roads have never been so quiet.

Agreed
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    As someone else has said. It's okay to drive somewhere as long as more time is spent doing the exercise.
    Driving to walk I can understand, driving to cycle? I don't get it
  • webboo
    There was a man and a women in their early twenties and an older lady. He claimed they were from the same family, I had not asked about this.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Perhaps they were city centre living newbies so not confident, 'safer' to drive somewhere quiet?
  • webboo
    They were in a van from a bike shop.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Ah. Bit of a clue there. Taking m-i-l out for a pootle?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    We did drive 15 minutes to go for a walk today... we got a bit bored of the usual local paths and they tend to be busier on Sunday. Apparently this is allowed, so all good.

Cycling is a bit different, how far can you drive in 15 minutes and how long would it take to cycle there?

But yes, apparently allowed, so you were wrong
    left the forum March 2023
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    As been said it's half and half. At least you've raised it with them so it would at least generate a discussion with the three and they would question if they are doing the right lawful thing. Then again they may be like a lot of people these days. Fook everybody else I'll do what I want to do!!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    orraloon said:

Perhaps they were city centre living newbies so not confident, 'safer' to drive somewhere quiet?

Correct. There are reams of cycle friendly routes near us but my wife will not use the roads to get to them so we'd have to drive the 1-3 miles first.
    Not that we have due to congestion on those routes, but we'd have to.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Do we know if the 'offenders' were wearing helmets or not? Could be relevant
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

Do we know if the 'offenders' were wearing helmets or not? Could be relevant

Did they have bells and pedal reflectors?
  • wiznaeme
    wiznaeme Posts: 238
    I have two friends (both in their fifties) who own road bikes but are unhappy when they have to ride with traffic to access off-road sections. My wife won’t go on-road at all, so she has to use a car to get to a cycle path.
    All like cycling but are frightened of motorists.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Perhaps they just wanted to get a few hills in. The roads around Hull are pan flat.
  • webboo
    Neither are there any significant hills in the area where they were riding. They were on the circuit used for on of the East Riding summer evening handicap road races.