Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    edited April 2020
    Great! Tax at 94% for the highest earners.
    😱😢😱
    They will be chuffed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    I get your argument- I just don’t agree with it.

My argument is to mix your knowledge of economics, mix in a dose of common sense and then apply a filter of logical thinking.

Every few years we have a new Chancellor who preaches a version of “prudence” and introduces a new set of financial disciplines because the old ones no longer apply due to some paradigm shift.

Your link extols last month’s theory that so long as debt grows slower than GDP then we remain in a land of milk and honey.
    This month we have a new boy and a new theory that we need to keep debt servicing costs below 6% and then we remain in the land of milk and honey.

Why change theory? they had breached it year after year and had announced spending plans that would see them breach it for the next 5 years.

Essentially I think where we disagree is what the end game will look like. If I am right then you think we will see a gradual tightening of the debt markets and the Govt will cut it’s cloth to get debt under control.

I think the tipping point was the GFC and that since then debt is already beyond political control. The underlying debt position will continue to worsen until another black swan hits and the end game will look like Greece ten years ago with the Govt forced to live within its means.

We are both dogmatic people but there must be a part of you you that would give a % chance on me being right.

You of course can not prove me wrong as I will just duck behind timing 😀
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,496

My argument is to mix your knowledge of economics, mix in a dose of common sense and then apply a filter of logical thinking.

Every few years we have a new Chancellor who preaches a version of “prudence” and introduces a new set of financial disciplines because the old ones no longer apply due to some paradigm shift.

Your link extols last month’s theory that so long as debt grows slower than GDP then we remain in a land of milk and honey.
    This month we have a new boy and a new theory that we need to keep debt servicing costs below 6% and then we remain in the land of milk and honey.

Why change theory? they had breached it year after year and had announced spending plans that would see them breach it for the next 5 years.

Essentially I think where we disagree is what the end game will look like. If I am right then you think we will see a gradual tightening of the debt markets and the Govt will cut it’s cloth to get debt under control.

I think the tipping point was the GFC and that since then debt is already beyond political control. The underlying debt position will continue to worsen until another black swan hits and the end game will look like Greece ten years ago with the Govt forced to live within its means.

We are both dogmatic people but there must be a part of you you that would give a % chance on me being right.

If you think we will have a problem with debt, watch Italy as this crisis unfolds and what that might do for the Eurozone. I predicted this a while back and looks like the trigger point may have come sooner than anyone realised.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2020
    Double post.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    edited April 2020

If I am right then you think we will see a gradual tightening of the debt markets and the Govt will cut it’s cloth to get debt under control.

Which is pretty much what the report says. :p

1. Taxes were kept high. Before the war, tax revenue as a percent of GDP had never been higher than 7.8%. Since the war it’s averaged 14%, and has never gone below 11% in a given year. The top marginal tax rate went from 24% in 1929 to 94% by 1945, and would not drop below 80% for another 20 years.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Lucky its a US report then - and as everyone in Cake Stop knows, anything the US does is stupid so we wouldn't follow their example ;)
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

If you think we will have a problem with debt, watch Italy as this crisis unfolds and what that might do for the Eurozone. I predicted this a while back and looks like the trigger point may have come sooner than anyone realised.
    Sorry I really don’t get the relevance.

Are you saying our political leaders will wake up when a similar sized economy gets into debt related trouble? because if so I don’t share your optimism
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Are you saying our political leaders will wake up when a similar sized economy gets into debt related trouble? because if so I don’t share your optimism
    Not my main point. I'm mentionng another country with a larger debt issue than ours which may come to a head sooner. If that helps to wake people up then good.
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not my main point. I'm mentionng another country with a larger debt issue than ours which may come to a head sooner. If that helps to wake people up then good.
    The only reason I care about other countries being deeper in the hole than us is because of the inevitable hits to the UK economy. I really see nothing to celebrate
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The only reason I care about other countries being deeper in the hole than us is because of the inevitable hits to the UK economy. I really see nothing to celebrate
    Who mentioned celebrating?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    so the BofE has increased QE to £50bn a month for the next four months
    HMG is raising £60bn a month for the next four months

so it is deemed ridiculous for the Bof E to directly buy gilts so it takes an equivalent sum out of the market so the people it just bought off can buy back from the Govt

now what if the emperor has no clothes and the above is just total bow locks?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619

so it is deemed ridiculous for the Bof E to directly buy gilts so it takes an equivalent sum out of the market so the people it just bought off can buy back from the Govt

Does this mean you have finalled acknowledged that the BoE owns a lot of the government's debt on behalf of the treasury?
  • surrey_commuter

Does this mean you have finalled acknowledged that the BoE owns a lot of the government's debt on behalf of the treasury?
    I have never denied that.

If this was in the private sector it would be called a scam
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689

I have never denied that.

If this was in the private sector it would be called a scam
    I’ve already posted multiple explanations for why this is probably ok.
  • surrey_commuter
    That is a colossal gamble on something that is “probably ok”
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,662

And the alternatives at this point?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

The alternative was not to have debt over 80% of GDP when the next black swan flapped into view.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

The alternative was not to have debt over 80% of GDP when the next black swan flapped into view.
    There were only 6 words and you ignored 3 of them. At *this point* what alternative do you suggest.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

There were only 6 words and you ignored 3 of them. At *this point* what alternative do you suggest.
    The debate we are having is about whether continuously running a deficit is sustainable.

Your question, as a stand-alone, makes no sense as it presupposes I think the Govt’s response is wrong, therefore I attempted to answer it in the context of the existing debate.
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

And you've forgotten it again.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

The debate we are having is about whether continuously running a deficit is sustainable.

Your question, as a stand-alone, makes no sense as it presupposes I think the Govt’s response is wrong, therefore I attempted to answer it in the context of the existing debate.
    I think we were talking about the BoE's latest scheme. Your words were "that's a colossal gamble on something that is probably OK." It would have been lovely if we didn't have so much debt when Covid-19 kicked off, but we did. Wishing it wasn't so seems a bit futile.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I think we were talking about the BoE's latest scheme. Your words were "that's a colossal gamble on something that is probably OK." It would have been lovely if we didn't have so much debt when Covid-19 kicked off, but we did. Wishing it wasn't so seems a bit futile.
    Our whole debate is over debt levels and if there is an end point what it looks like. Rick believes we are way off unsustainable levels I disagree and think that recent events are warning signs. Rick believes that we will see the end coming and mitigate accordingly, I believe by the time the politicians accept the inevitable it will be far too late.

TBB thinks it is good that the BofE buys up lots of our debt, I think that it is an accounting sleight of hand that covers up that we would struggle to sell that volume of gilts.

The debate is more about how much debt we have when the next black swan hits, this makes our current situation relevant and not to ignore on the grounds it is futile.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Hey SC how do you explain the post WW2 recovery in the US?

Given it was more indebted proportionally than it has ever been before or sense immediately after?
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Our whole debate is over debt levels and if there is an end point what it looks like. Rick believes we are way off unsustainable levels I disagree and think that recent events are warning signs. Rick believes that we will see the end coming and mitigate accordingly, I believe by the time the politicians accept the inevitable it will be far too late.

TBB thinks it is good that the BofE buys up lots of our debt, I think that it is an accounting sleight of hand that covers up that we would struggle to sell that volume of gilts.

The debate is more about how much debt we have when the next black swan hits, this makes our current situation relevant and not to ignore on the grounds it is futile.
    I haven't expressed an opinion other than that you consistently talk about the total debt and ignore the BoE's holdings. This is broadly the same as sending the EU £350m a week.
  • pblakeney

Given it was more indebted proportionally than it has ever been before or sense immediately after?

Spending and high taxes. This was covered a couple of weeks ago.
    Expect huge increases in tax for the foreseeable once recovery begins..
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter

You are conflating war spending with spending to live beyond your means for decade after decade. Why are you so confident that will stop?
  • surrey_commuter

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I haven't expressed an opinion other than that you consistently talk about the total debt and ignore the BoE's holdings. This is broadly the same as sending the EU £350m a week.

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I don’t get that comparison