Wheel truing - how perfect does it need to be?

benws1
benws1 Posts: 415
edited April 2020 in Workshop
I noticed my front wheel had a bit of a wobble. Nothing too bad that it would touch the brake pads. Just enough to notice it and annoy me.

I thought about trying to true it. I've done a little bit of truing before, but I'm not a bicycle mechanic.

I've got it so that when I spin the wheel, there is a little bit of wobble on the wheel, but I can't seem to get it perfect.

How perfect does the wheel need to be trued? Does it need to be completely wobble free?

The wobble I have been left with is less than before, but the wheel isn't perfectly true. Does this really matter?

Also, there are a couple of really annoying bits I can't seem to true. One is where the wheel rim join is (where the thing has been stuck together), and another is where the tyre valve sticks out.

Am I being too much of a perfectionist when reviewing my work? I'm looking at the wheel quite closely and using the brake pads as a guide.

Wheels are the stock things that came on my Specialized Allez (Axis Sport)

Thanks all.

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,453
    I’d say 2-3mm max run out on a rim brake wheel. 3 or more and you are getting issues with the wheel pushing the brake calliper whilst braking and causing rub when released. For a quality wheel you would expect 0-1mm run out. Sometimes a cheaper or damaged wheel cannot be perfectly trued without it going egg shaped as when you try to pull the rim across it also pulls it to the hub.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,453
    I’d say 2-3mm max run out on a rim brake wheel. 3 or more and you are getting issues with the wheel pushing the brake calliper whilst braking and causing rub when released. For a quality wheel you would expect 0-1mm run out. Sometimes a cheaper or damaged wheel cannot be perfectly trued without it going egg shaped as when you try to pull the rim across it also pulls it to the hub.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    Thanks. I think I've managed to get my wheel around 1mm true. So not too bad. There are a few bits that refuse to be tried.

I guess the stock wheels that come with 600 quid bikes arent the best. There is definitely a jump at the rim seam.

Will ride it and see how it goes. May be worth investing in some better wheels for the bike.