Clothes for the Bigger guy (Startup)

Hi guys. Been looking into getting a New Jersey etc. But as a big guy I just can’t seem to find anything that fits and looks good. SO I’m here trying to gauge interest and ideas as I’m looking into the possibility of starting my own cycling clothing company. See it a little like jacamo but for cycling. If you could give me your thoughts that would be great guys. Thank you

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Are you aware of 'Fat Lad at the Back'? They do exactly what you are suggesting.

I'm not trying to put you off - as a large cyclist I'm happy to see any new entrants into the market providing bigger sizes of decent gear for cyclists.

Decathlon and others also go up to reasonable sizes.

There is a definitely demand, just not sure how much if you're considering starting a business off the back of it.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • I’m a 2xL in normal clothes but even 3xl is small. I’m looking at sizing them correctly. FLATB is great I agree but I’m not to keen on having that plastered all over the jersey. But each to their own. Appreciate the honesty and would welcome any more. Thank you
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Eliot - may be worth giving a rough idea of your dimensions, as if someone else is roughly the same they'll be able to give you very specific suggestions.

Annoyingly, when it comes to cycling gear the sizing can be really wacky.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    edited April 2020
    Fat lad at the back stuff as mentioned previously is well proportioned and reasonably priced. I have some of their gear (for irony only of course). Altura stuff seems to me to be sized accordingly, in that a large top seems to correspond to a large in normal clothes.
  • 45 inch chest with a wider midriff by about 1-2 inches. I’m 6 foot 3 with 15 inch upper arm.

I’ve got 1 decathlon jacket in 3xl and that’s huge
  • So far then I’m not seeing a great deal of enthusiasm for another brand then. Appreciate the help with brands etc
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    What size are you currently, ? FLAB are expensive, but do some much bigger stuff.

Also, there are a couple of larger sized custom jersey makers out there at the moment doing NHS jerseys that can be ordered in the bigger sizes for reasonably cheap - raceskin, pactimo, hub etc.

Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

45 inch chest with a wider midriff by about 1-2 inches. I’m 6 foot 3 with 15 inch upper arm.

I’ve got 1 decathlon jacket in 3xl and that’s huge

Eliot

I'm 48" chest/40" waist and 6'0.

FLAB obviously fits to much larger sizes. Decathlon 2XL fits me fine. I also have clothing that fits well from Assos, Endura and Stolen Goat.

FLAB also do a 'stealth' range that doesn't mention the F-Word.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • What size are you currently, ? FLAB are expensive, but do some much bigger stuff.

Also, there are a couple of larger sized custom jersey makers out there at the moment doing NHS jerseys that can be ordered in the bigger sizes for reasonably cheap - raceskin, pactimo, hub etc.

Depends on what. I’m a 2xl in normal clothing. My problem is I don’t like the I can’t breath properly in this look. I got a castelli jacket and i couldn’t even fit it half way round me. Sizing is a joke.
  • wolfsbane2k

What size are you currently, ? FLAB are expensive, but do some much bigger stuff.

Depends on what. I’m a 2xl in normal clothing. My problem is I don’t like the I can’t breath properly in this look. I got a castelli jacket and i couldn’t even fit it half way round me. Sizing is a joke.
    I'm with you. I'm 6ft 7 tall, vary between 44 and 46" chest, with 42-44" waist. I ride to commute, not for race.
    The best fitting cycling jersey's I've ever had were Lidl's own cycling stuff (dirt cheap) bought circa 2017 - their 2018/2019 stuff changed sizes and aren't as long :neutral: - and best of all they were dirt cheap.

I've got 1 FLAB top I got off ebay - it fits well, but having been spoilt by the price and fit of lidl's stuff, I cant justify 8x the price for a cycling jersey.

Endura do make some larger sized clothing, but actually getting hold of it is really hard.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • What size are you currently, ? FLAB are expensive, but do some much bigger stuff.

I'm with you. I'm 6ft 7 tall, vary between 44 and 46" chest, with 42-44" waist. I ride to commute, not for race.
    The best fitting cycling jersey's I've ever had were Lidl's own cycling stuff (dirt cheap) bought circa 2017 - their 2018/2019 stuff changed sizes and aren't as long :neutral: - and best of all they were dirt cheap.

I've got 1 FLAB top I got off ebay - it fits well, but having been spoilt by the price and fit of lidl's stuff, I cant justify 8x the price for a cycling jersey.

Endura do make some larger sized clothing, but actually getting hold of it is really hard.
    So realistically if I could do them for £25 you would be happy with that ?
  • wolfsbane2k

So realistically if I could do them for £25 you would be happy with that ?

yeah, £25 to £30 is my "happy to spend money at without having to try hard to justify it " value.
    I only commute 1 hour each way, run hot, and ride every day, so change jersey every day.

I've currently got some pretty nasty £5 ridge SS jerseys that fit ok from halfords - again as im not in it long, i'm not that fussed.
  • thanks so far guys.
    Looking at about £20-£30 but would need to get some designs and some materials sourced etc. very early stages at the moment but would love to be able to help bigger guys like myself be able to get good looking and well sized cycling products.