If you had to choose

Hello all, I have my eye on two road bikes, the 2020 Cannondale Optimo 105 but also fancy the 2019 Felt FR30, although don't know much about their bikes, it has a mainly 105 group set as well, I would probably prefer the aesthetics of the Felt but probably trust the better known brand more, the Cannondale. The Felt is a just a bit cheaper but not much. What da reckon if you had to choose?

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,211

Well, initially without the shots I would have gone for the Cannondale (the brand), but looking at them both the Felts compact style frame looks more in and looks good too.

Ummm Tricky one, I assume the component levels are similar?

• focuszing723
    All 105 with no cheaper brakes...Wheels similar?
  • corynace
    corynace Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply and adding the shots. Yeah very similar components although the Felt has a praxis chain ring, which I don't know much about. My instinct would be to go for the trusted cannondale but like the looks of the underdog with the Felt and a bit cheaper.
  • focuszing723
    No probs, this is important stuff, shots are a necessity!

Damn I'm conflicted too. I like the look of the Felt, but that Cannondale brand?

I guess with the Felt compact fame it would be easier to tailor for a more comfortable riding position, if that's what you want, worth considering. Also I know it's difficult in these Covid times but it might be worth giving them a go if you can.

I'm going to have to bail and let somebody else more enlightened give some advise.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Felt are probably as well known as Cannondale although probably not as common. Theyre a US company as are Cannondale. I have had 3 Felts (F2, F5 and VR30 still have the VR30) and I would take a Felt over a Cannondale everyday of the week.
    In the past Cannondales were notorious for creaky bottom brackets and for that reason, I wouldn't ever buy one although I don't know if that is still the case. Another problem I have with Cannondales is that they use proprietary parts like seatposts which makes getting replacement parts difficult unless buying directly from Cannondale. Felt are great bikes, well designed and engineered and up there in my opinion with the best of them.
  • focuszing723
    Yep, that's a fair point about Felt, you see some of the pro Tour teams use them.
  • corynace
    corynace Posts: 4
    Thanks, that's really great feed back.
  • focuszing723
    Best of luck with it Corynace, I'm sure whatever you get you will be happy with it:)
  • fiverears
    fiverears Posts: 38
    They look like two very different rides. the optimo has a race geometry and the felt an endurance geo.
  • I had a Cannondale CAAD12 and the optima looks to be the same shape as that. It was a cracking bike, fast, light, responsive and begged to be ridden hard.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited April 2020
    fiverears said:

They look like two very different rides. the optimo has a race geometry and the felt an endurance geo.

This. They're very different kinds of bikes in terms of geometry, what kind of riding do you want to do and how flexible are you?

Obviously lockdown has made the prospect of going for a test ride tricky but it'd be good to try both to appreciate the difference.

With regards to the bottom bracket, it looks like the CAAD Optimo uses a threaded one so there's less chance of issues there although as an owner of several Cannondales with BB30a I've personally never had any issues... *Touches wood*
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

I had a Cannondale CAAD12 and the optima looks to be the same shape as that. It was a cracking bike, fast, light, responsive and begged to be ridden hard.

I have a 2016 CAAD12 105 & this is 100% my experience as well & have to say touch wood I've never had a problem with the BB creaking either. Get it properly serviced & it's fine IME.

No experience with Felt whatsoever but I'd plump for the Cannondale every time with caveat as mentioned above about geometry. The CAAD12 is similar to the SuperSix Evo so pretty racy although I've never found it uncomfortable, quite the opposite in fact.