Would this plus bike idea work for me??? Please help

So ... please do tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree, but my brain has been whirring. I live in Norfolk, UK - mountain biking opportunities are thin so I mainly BMX and pumptrack. Once or twice a year I get to go to Morzine / Wales and have a play on bigger stuff. I would like a bike that will cover urban bezzing, pump tracks and trips to the Alps.

My plan is this ...

Cotic BFe (or similar) set up with 26 wheels, singlespeed with fast rolling small block style tires and rigid. That would cover me for getting around the city, not having an expensive fork making my bike desirable to thieves and would manage the pumptrack.

Then ... when I get to go away I could slip on a Pike fork, 3.0 tires making for a 26+ hardtail ready to rip trail centres and the like.

My logic may be way off but, then again, it may be bang on. Thoughts welcomed 😊

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    A few points to consider:

Will your existing front and rear wheel rims support a 3" wide tyre?
    See this link https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart

Will the fork you buy support a 3" tyre, ie will it be wide enough? It needs to be wide enough to allow a 3" tyre to rotate freely between the legs, plus flex of wheel and tyre. It also needs to allow for debris clinging to the tyre. Will the extra diameter of the tyre clear the fork brace?

Will the chosen fork fit the axle width of the wheel you have on your bike 100mm wide or 110mm? What is the axle size on your wheel' is it a skewer or a through axle, what diameter of axle? If you can't get a fork to fit the tyre and the axle, you will need a new wheel.

You are more likely to have problems with the rear triangle. ie the tyre either not fitting between the stays or rubbing on them. You must allow for flex or you will very quickly wreck your frame. Alloy is not very hard and a muddy tyre will rapidly abrade the stays.

If you have a seat stay bridge, will the larger diameter 3" wide tyre rub on it? Allow for stones stuck in the tread being carried around and banging into the bridge. They too will quickly wear away the alloy.

You could consider a wider tyre on the front and a one not quite so big on the rear. It is a common set up.

Will you be able to buy a Pike fork for a 26" wheel? If you can find any, they should be cheap and maybe from previous years.
    Consider a 27.5" fork like this one:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air-forks-275-67701.html

That is a top of the range Pike for only £375 instead of £839 - bargain! That fork will alter your bike geometry, it will make the head angle slacker, but will put increased stress on your frame. You will still need to check the fork geometry from the Rockshox website to see that it will take a 3" wheel width.

Finally: Why do you believe that you need to go so wide? I would have thought no more than 2.4" would work well. It is as wide as the DH boys used to go only a few years ago. I have been to the Alps and Bike Park Wales and never had more than 2.4" wide tyres. I have happily done the reds at BPW on 2.2" wide tyres. Just go tubeless and reduce your tyre pressure.