Compability question

nicleza
nicleza Posts: 30
At the moment I have a bike with 11 speed and a commuter bike with 8 speed drivetrain. On my smart trainer an 11 speed cassette is mounted. I'd like to be able to use both bikes on the trainer but I am not sure how to make that happen. The 8 speed chain doesn't work with the 11 speed cassette. Can I put an 11 speed chain on the 8 speed bike? The 8 speed bike needs to work to ride outdoors as well as I use it for commuting. I have another wheel with an 11 speed cassette that I can use for the commuter.
I hope I make some kind of sense..

What will be the easiest and cheapest way to make everything compatible?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Use a 3rd bike dedicated to the Turbo ... doesn't need to be anything flash

you're not going to get anywhere trying to mix 8 and 11 speed - you could probably upgrade the commuter to 11 speed - but is it worth it?
  • nicleza
    nicleza Posts: 30
    slowbike said:

you're not going to get anywhere trying to mix 8 and 11 speed - you could probably upgrade the commuter to 11 speed - but is it worth it?

No, I don't think it's worth it. But I don't think a bike just for a turbo is worth it either. I was hoping I could use a 10 speed chain or something that would be compatible with both but I guess it won't be.
    Thank you for your answer.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,362
    So the trainer has an 11 speed cassette on it. Just use an 11 speed chain on the commuter for the trainer. I think it will work but the front shifting would be difficult. Just check an 11 speed chain isn’t too narrow to fit onto the teeth of the chainring.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    I would be tempted to get a PowerLink/QuickLink and give it a try, it's useful to be able to remove the chain anyway for cleaning. A friend might have a chain removal tool handy to separate it.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    nicleza said:

slowbike said:

No, I don't think it's worth it. But I don't think a bike just for a turbo is worth it either. I was hoping I could use a 10 speed chain or something that would be compatible with both but I guess it won't be.
    Thank you for your answer.
    it might be as cheap to buy a couple of hundred quid bike to destroy on the trainer as it would be to start buying new chains and cassettes. Ebay a cheap one. stick it on and let it rust away without any guilt. If you do any kind of regular training on the turbo and you make an effort you will be corroding for Britain.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,362
    Pretty sure he can buy a chain and a couple of quick links for less than a couple of hundred.