How big is your Gap (heel to crank)?

I always used to ride with my heels near the cranks when cycling. I had a bike fit recently and the fitter changed the position of the cleats so that I have a 1cm gap between pedal and crank. Unlike fore/ aft position of the cleat we didn't discuss this so I assume this is just a standard setup. I haven't been able to get used to this and will be angling them back to give me a more toes out position.

It left me wondering, what is the usual gap between heel and crank? Am I unusual in wanting to nearly rub my heel against the crank?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You will learn nothing from other people's cleat setups. Your own preferences are all that matter.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not a clue. And on what bike ? So long as you're not hitting the cranks then I think its all good. Bike chain stays would affect it too. Dont worry.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Some peoples feet turn outwards or inwards naturally which can be helped by using Speedplay but not necessarily. It's about you being comfortable. Phil Burt over on YouTube discusses using Speedplay for this issue but Bikefit james isnt a fan of Speedplay and sells lots of Shimano. Trying to force your feet straight may not be a good idea
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I have wedges under my insoles to straighten my feet up and stop me clattering the crank arms. Without them my knees are in a world of pain
  • It's worth keeping in mind your left and right cleat angle settings will not automatically be the same. I have a 5mm gap one side (so heel often touches the crank) and 20mm gap the other. Difference in knee/ ankle geometry could be from an old knee injury but after months of fine tuning, I know having them the same both sides would cause knee pain on long rides.