MTB customizing - extending brake hoses, chopper handelbars, replacing Avids with Shimano

Hello

I'm in France, in total lockdown, i.e. no local bike shops open, so appreciate any advice on customizing a 2nd hand Specialized MTB I bought recently.

I want to:
a) Replace handlebars with hi-rise chopper for hand and back comfort. Can't find suppliers for these bars, even though I've bought and installed on 2 other bikes previously (which I could reluctantly cannibalize)

b) Riser bars will require extending the brake hoses. Aside from bleed kit and connectors do I need any other tools hose cutters, crimpers etc. ? I've only youtube videos to rely on, and have no experience with bike hydraulics.

c) Swap out the existing Avid Elixir 5 SL brakes because reviews indicate they'll be a maintenance headache. Have you any thoughts on Shimano MT200s? or BB7s to go totally mech? I ride mostly pavement.

d) Cut down the Specialized seat post (31mm) and since I'm unhappy at the very slight seat tilt it allows, plan to cut the seat clamp off and replace with a standard seat mount 'clam' that will permit seat tilt. I can't seem to find this part.

e) Bike has tubeless tires - is this worthwhile to carry on with?

thanks in advance

Keenan

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You may be better posting this in the MTB workshop forum than the roady one.
    a/ You want to look for BMX bars.
    b/ You'll need new hoses, olives and sometimes a new pin, you can cut with a sharp craft knife, you will need the right bleed kit and tools to go with it.
    c/ The Elixir's aren't great but can be worked with, but cable (BB5 or BB7) would make life a lot easier and they are perfectly good brakes. You could sell the Elixir on.
    d/ Specialized are 30.9, all seatposts allow a good range of angle adjustment, so it sounds like you just need to understand how your's works You won't find that part as it doesn't exist. there is no such thing as a 'standard' for saddle clamps, you replace the whole post.
    e/ For the sort of riding you propose, probably not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Rookie - good tips. BTW I had the seat post on facing backwards, didn't see the arrow! LOL.