Sweat catchers, towels etc.

Tired of my stem bolts and headset bearings rusting from sweat. I've heard that the sweat guards (e.g. the Tacx one) aren't very good value, and from the pictures I've seen it looks like most don't actually cover the faceplate bolts, which is sort of necessary.. But when I drape a towel over the bars it gets blown around by the fan (I have a big one), so it's always becoming disloded and/or brishing against my knees. Also, I get the impression that it's getting in the way of the cool air from the fan and contributing to overheating.

I could probably make something from bits of towel and velcro that would do the job, but it would be much easier to buy something that was actually fit for purpose!

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Have a look at the feedback sports sweat guard. Apparently it differs from most as it hooks around the shifters, rather than velcro straps around the bars (which usually end up leaving the stem bolts exposed).

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/turbo-trainer-accessories/feedback-sports-omnium-sweat-guard-449580.html
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I use a towel to cover my top tube and stem when on the turbo. I use clothes pegs to keep it in place. A couple of pegs below the top tube keep it away from my legs. A peg below the stem keeps it from moving around at that end too much. Job done.

My fan is above ground level (on top of some boxes) so the towel doesn't block any airflow.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    My turbo bike is my TT bike and it's there for the whole of the winter. I clingfilmed the stem and headset and main part of the bars for protection, and then put a shortish towel over it. I make sure it doesn't blow off by using those charity wristbands around the brake levers to secure the ends.
  • Decathlon ones are pretty cheap and have been fine on my bike
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Thanks for the tips. Quite like the look of the Halfords one. Does the Decathlon one cover the stem bolts? (i.e. the faceplate bolts as well as the steerer bolts). Clingfilm is also I good tip!
  • Bit of electrical tape over the bolts and a towel works for me
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited February 2020

This works for me on the turbo only bike, towel and pipe insulator on top tube, towel stays in place even with fan.
    The bike has been on turbo use for about 8 years now, only ever needed to once change front derailleur cable.
  • neeb
    Got the feedback one from Halfords in the end and thoroughly recommend it. Covers the stem completely, adjustable with elastic and velcro and looks like sexy women's lingerie when draped off the bars.. It looks like it might even be able to function as such (I should stress that I haven't tried this..).
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I bet you have by now...
  • neeb
    :D