RS Lyrik initial sag lumpy

Hi

Ive a 2020 Whyte G170 and have recently noticed that the first part of the travel is lumpy, seems to sag in one chunk of about 10mm and then its smooth. I had 2 tokens fitted after one ride, but Im not sure if it has always been like this.

Is this a RS 'feature' or something wrong? The bike is kept clean and i put silicon spray on stanchions after every clean.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    It's quite normal, as long as it's not excessive. There's static friction (stiction) between the stanchions, seals and bushings which has to be overcome to get the fork started. Once this is overcome, the movement will be a bit smoother. This is what things like the Lauf forks are designed to overcome, which makes them a lot more sensitive to small bumps.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636

It's quite normal, as long as it's not excessive. There's static friction (stiction) between the stanchions, seals and bushings which has to be overcome to get the fork started. Once this is overcome, the movement will be a bit smoother. This is what things like the Lauf forks are designed to overcome, which makes them a lot more sensitive to small bumps.

Thanks. The small bump sensitivity could be better when stood up and leaning backwards, feels a bit chattery which is probably set up.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I forgot to mention that it will be a bit worse on a new or newly serviced fork, and will loosen up a bit as the bushings start to wear a bit.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited April 2020
    I have never owned a Lyrik, the best I has=d was a top of the range Pike (which is pretty close).
    However, Lyriks are renowned for their smoothness. I would not rest until I had discovered what this was causing this lumpiness.

Why not contact the Rockshox agent in the UK and ask them.

http://www.sramtechcentre.co.uk/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd do a lower leg service, at least clean, inspect and lube the dust seals, clean and relube foam rings and ensure there is enough lube in the lower legs (often new forks seem a little low on oil).

Its a relatively simple DIY job, manuals all on the RS website, take it step by step.

Motorbike shops are the best source of oil at the right prices - in fact last time I was in my local he said he sold more to MTBers these days than motorcyclists!

As stated it's not at all unusual to have enough stiction to have a small amount of lumpiness around te start of travel and what is one person's 'normal' is another's 'too much'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Cheers both, I'll investigate further the weekend, get a video.