Sram cassette 12 speed problem

sunrise52
sunrise52 Posts: 5
edited April 2020 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello. I need help people. I wanted to wash the cassette (sram 12 speed) I pulled it from the axis. pulling out I didn't remember where the washer was. this washer is so conical. now I don't know if this washer is between the cassette and Hub, or between the cone and the cassette. does anyone have such a solution in their bikes ??? or maybe someone knows how it should be correct. thank you in advance and best regards. I attach photos.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You've pulled off the whole freehub body, not simply removed the cassette.

What hub is it?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    a proper bike shop is your friend. Get down there, you clearly have limited knowledge and ability yourself it might be better to others manage it
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    david37 said:

a proper bike shop is your friend. Get down there, you clearly have limited knowledge and ability yourself it might be better to others manage it

Yeah take it to Halfords 🤭
  • levolon
    The seal will be on the axle near hub bearing and should only be on a part that won't be compressed.
    If it's not in the right place it will not turn freely.

You could try googling a pdf for the exact hub for clarity
  • listen, I have a question. why are bicycle services in the UK such as Halfords and others ??? how not to know how to solve this problem. In I wrote to the first better website in Poland and they immediately solved the problem. Thank you and best regards.
  • levolon said:

The seal will be on the axle near hub bearing and should only be on a part that won't be compressed.

just like you say buddy. I just got instructions from a website from Poland about how it should be exactly. thank you
  • sunrise52 said:

levolon said:

just like you say buddy. I just got instructions from a website from Poland about how it should be exactly. thank you
    and this washer is to be as you wrote near the hub bearing
  • levolon
    edited April 2020
    sunrise52 said:

listen, I have a question. why are bicycle services in the UK such as Halfords and others ??? how not to know how to solve this problem. In I wrote to the first better website in Poland and they immediately solved the problem. Thank you and best regards.

There are some very good cycle mechanics in the UK
    And some very good cycle shops.

Unfortunately a lot of people go to Halfords who are for the most part staffed by young people with limited experience and skills. Not all but I wouldn't let a 17 year old anywhere near my bikes. And this applies to a lot of branches..?good for car polish and anything in packets though on a Sunday morning when everything else is closed😁

Cycle specific shops are your best bet as a rule.

• gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    levolon said:

sunrise52 said:

listen, I have a question. why are bicycle services in the UK such as Halfords and others ??? how not to know how to solve this problem. In I wrote to the first better website in Poland and they immediately solved the problem. Thank you and best regards.

There are some very good cycle mechanics in the UK
    And some very good cycle shops.

Unfortunately a lot of people go to Halfords who are for the most part staffed by young people with limited experience and skills. Not all but I wouldn't let a 17 year old anywhere near my bikes. And this applies to a lot of branches..?good for car polish and anything in packets though on a Sunday morning when everything else is closed😁

Cycle specific shops are your best bet as a rule.

To true about Halfords, Got my first full suss Boardman bike from them, will admit I had no experiance of full suss bikes! but the suspension had no air in it at all and the left crank fell off within a week. I have learned a lot since from here and use Sherwood Pines bike shop for things I cant do.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Halfords sell huge quantities of bikes, I read somewhere once that they sold more bikes than any other retailer in the UK. They sell the full range of bikes, from bottom end of the budget market for small kids, up to some high end bikes (but not the very high) for adults.They go for quantity. They sell two good ranges in the mtb area as far as I am aware, Boardman and Voodoo. Both get very good reports from the mtb press. There are probably some in the road bike area, but I don't read that press.

Unfortunately for Halfords, they have become a bit of a standing joke in the mtb community. Many people have stories of dreadful and even dangerous things that the bike fitters at Halfords have done. Once this reputation is formed it can be almost impossible to fix. A few years ago I read that the Managing Director of Halfords was going to invest heavily in training the bike fitters. I have seen nothing in the press later that suggested that was carried out, nor any reduction in the chatter about how poor Halfords are in fitting and servicing.

What Halfords universally get slagged off for is their build quality, which comes down to training of their staff and maybe poor retention of trained staff. The end result appears to be that if the build is good it is because you were lucky. It also appears that this is a rare event. This is a great shame and a missed opportunity for Halfords.