How bad is this chainring?

I've been getting really bad chain skip even after replacing the chain (140 mi ago) and casette (15-20 mi ago). I neglected to stay on top of chain & cassette replacements in the first instance, and after it started skipping one day I got hold of a checker and the thing dropped right into the 1% mark, and I've a feeling it had been like that for a good while. Replaced the chain and cassette like mentioned previously and it didn't fix the problem, so I've just ordered a replacement ring hoping that it is this causing the issue.

What do you think? Are they knackered? I know the small ring is good.
(click the images within the link to get a full zoom): https://imgur.com/a/rCUDhVb

Comments

• dannyjames1
    dannyjames1 Posts: 44
    edited April 2020
    maybe around 10k on it btw. pretty much all in the big ring (flat area) whether that is long enough for a worn chain and or casette to cause damage I don't know. I do ride it a little hard, out on the saddle whenever I move off etc but I'm not a heavy rider.
  • Looks worn. Sometimes rings need replacing when you don't think they are bad. But if that is the only thing you haven't replaced you've got to try it.

10k could have caused wear depending on road carp, your power and lots of other things.

As you have a ring coming then see what happens. If it cures the problem you have your answer. If it doesn't report back.
  • dannyjames1
    dannyjames1 Posts: 44
    edited April 2020

Looks worn. Sometimes rings need replacing when you don't think they are bad. But if that is the only thing you haven't replaced you've got to try it.

10k could have caused wear depending on road carp, your power and lots of other things.

As you have a ring coming then see what happens. If it cures the problem you have your answer. If it doesn't report back.

I think it seems the most logical thing? I tried a different wheel (also diff. speed block) on it to rule out the pawls not holding but that didn't help either. Not sure what else it could possibly be. bad indexing? even that feels ok though, all of the gears change with just the 25>28 maybe being a little hesitant sometimes in the 50. not a combo i'd use anyway