All time Paris-Roubaix: Who wins?

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,137
The greats of Paris-Roubaix line up together - who wins?
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Can you clarify if Spartacus is allowed his motor or not?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I reckon there are enough riders there who will contribute so Cancellara doesn't get away on his own. Who is the best finisher from a small group ? I've gone for Merckx but on second thoughts he might try and do too much and get pipped, same for Boonen - I know Kelly was willing to play his cards close to his chest but from what I read maybe DeVlaeminck or vanLooy might edge him - RDV has one more PR win so maybe go for him.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    I don’t think there is a rider better suited to PR than Boonen.

Other riders were better all rounders but there was something about his size, power and speed that made him uniquely suited. PR finishes in a small group as often as it does solo and he could win both ways.
  • Yeah, pretty much what Rick said. Boonen had the finish to win in a sprint and Roger de Vlaemink has pissed off too many on that list that they'd all work together to stop him winning
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    Would Boonen have beaten Kelly in a sprint?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

I don’t think there is a rider better suited to PR than Boonen.

I watched the 2002 P-R on youtube yesterday, with partisan commentary from Phil and Paul, and Boonen's debut in the race remains astonishing. He was in the break of the day from km 31, then worked hard for Hincapie when the leader's group came up to them, then still had the strength to stay with Wesemann, and finish third. For a neo-pro, third in P-R is an amazing result, but Boonen took it up a notch given how hard he rode.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    George Hincapie needs to be in there somewhere. Doing well, but not quite well enough
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Cancellara, at his best just too much power for the others.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited April 2020
    After a bit of Wikibana.

"Only three riders have won all five monuments - Belgian riders Rik van Looy, Eddy Merckx and Roger de Vlaeminck."

The fact Roger de Vlaeminck has won it four times as well, I would have to give it to him.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    sherer said:

George Hincapie needs to be in there somewhere. Doing well, but not quite well enough

He really doesn't.
  • Pross said:

He was only at his best once though, in 2010 when Boonen made a stupid tactical error that cost him a chance. 2013 he had very little competition so didn't need to be at his best. He was good in 2008 but Boonen had a better sprint. 2007 2009 he was off the pace. 2014 he'd just won Flanders so everyone looked at him as the favourite and he just didn't have it
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718

Pross said:

He was only at his best once though, in 2010 when Boonen made a stupid tactical error that cost him a chance. 2013 he had very little competition so didn't need to be at his best. He was good in 2008 but Boonen had a better sprint. 2007 2009 he was off the pace. 2014 he'd just won Flanders so everyone looked at him as the favourite and he just didn't have it
    Yes I agree, that was the year Boonen dropped to the back of the group to take a bottle? I don't see Cancellara riding away from a group including that many all time greats. I think it comes down to the best sprinter who maybe saves his legs.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Currently rewatching the 2011 edition, so I'll let you know how he rode as the overwhelming favourite. Out of interest, does anyone know why they turned right out of the Forest of Arenberg? They missed a big chunk off compared to other years
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Yes I agree, that was the year Boonen dropped to the back of the group to take a bottle?

'Balen, we have a problem!'
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • 2011 played out in a very similar way to 2007. The favourites marked each other and let a big break get ahead. Van Summeren was ins aid break and attacked from it, as O'Grady did in 07. Boonen was the one forlornly chasing in 07, coming through the remnants of the break as Cancellara was in 11
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Bit late, but last 10km of #ClassicClassics (+ Excellent synth backing music) here if you're on that twitter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrHNj8pHmx0&t=4212s
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    ive been watching these during the afternoon, although not a fan of the sync sound track
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    sherer said:

nowhere near good enough.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    if it ends in a sprint, Kelly and Boonen and De Vlaeminck, would be favourites. if solo Mercx, Cancellara, Moser. think also against weaker riders, any of the first 3 would be able to ride away as well.

all at their peak, and not on a bad day. just my 2 cents.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    I think the who is better, Boonen or Cancellara is actually a more interesting question, not least because I would argue, at Cancellara's peak, Boonen could not touch him (2010), but Boonen was at a higher level for much more of his career; e.g. 2008 Cancellara could barely hang onto Boonen's wheel and was heavily cramping in the run into the the velodrome, for example, let alone the prior years when Boonen was running.

Then again, you look at the 2006 Paris Roubaix and Cancellara was probably the best rider there that day, though again you could say Boonen paid the price in the finale for a team tactical mistake after the Arenberg which led to a loooooong chase.

I think the tactical error in the 2010 race that Boonen made is being rather generous to Boonen. Judging from the previous week's exploits and how Boonen did most of the chasing in 2010 it is obvious that Cancellara was just a superior athlete that day.