tuesday babylon's burning

'ning

ride at dawn, coffee, nyt, wfh/bask if it's sunny
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, I hope it’s going to be sunny today, last nights moon was nice and bright, todays activities turbo , wash one decking down for a coat of oil tomorrow
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    WFL (lounge).

Later might be fun bike again as the woods are so dry it is running really quickly
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'ning

Missed Dawn, but would've had to stay 2m away from her anyway. Nice ride in appropriate clothing this time (frost here), those ducks along the canal are getting bolder now there's fewer people about.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    I'm glad we have these threads so I know what day it is :)

Will have to venture out and get supplies today. Going to be a bit of a rebel, as I'll need to go the long way to the supermarket to put a bit of charge into the car battery.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    jersey, gilet and warmers again, up hill, coffee, down hill, regent's park was quiet so smashed a few laps around there

second coffee and nibbling mini cantuccini
  • thistle_
    Has anyone ordered anything from the Netherlands before? Is the dutch post as reliable as the online reviews say it is?

The tracking for my parcel shows it still hasn't been sorted by Post NL even though it was sent yesterday. I was hoping it would be on the plane last night or this morning.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    yep, it's been ok

with the current shutdowns, restrictions, reduced staffing etc., i'd expect things to go slower than usual
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Tradesmen turned up early to finish installation of custom built bathroom vanity. Nice job too.

Mooched about much of the rest of the day. Bag of miscellaneous bike parts arrived this arvo, now just waiting for the frameset to turn up and I'll have another project.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Sadly, but thankfully, my MIL passed away at lunchtime today. Most other things seem less important somehow. It happened whilst I was out on the bike enjoying the sunny weather - managed to get in a 20 mile ride never being more than 1.5 miles from home.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Stevo_666
    Very sorry to hear that LS. RIP.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Thanks Stevo. It's good that it has actually happened. The waiting (with little meaningful way to distract yourself) was worse. There was no chance of recovery.

My kids are losing grandparents at an alarming rate...
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Stevo_666
    Longshot said:

Thanks Stevo. It's good that it has actually happened. The waiting (with little meaningful way to distract yourself) was worse. There was no chance of recovery.

My kids are losing grandparents at an alarming rate...

LS, I know what you mean having last year lost a parent to a 4 year battle with dementia.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Sad news LS.

A few of us have been there.

Spent morning doing school stuff with Shorty. They don't know it would be the easter holidays and wouldn't be going to school but it keeps them occupied and we only do a couple of hours a day anyway.

Spent the next 5 hours pulling bits off a tired old engine.

Lovely wevver - 15deg here!! That's frikkin tropical.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Ours aren't getting out of bed before 10 (mini) and 11.30 (boy). Long may it continue. Gives us a few clear hours to work uninterrupted.

Pressure cooking some nice chicken legs, before finishing on the bbq.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Evening folks,
    Condolences and all that LS, very sorry to hear that and particularly tough at the moment. As you say it sounds like sooner was better given the circumstances. All the best to you and yours through what I’m sure will be tough at times.
    I had an exciting day, I actually went to work to work. A little odd being the only one in an office that normally has 20 people in it. Did what I had to do so home again tomorrow.
  • Stevo_666

Evening folks,
    Condolences and all that LS, very sorry to hear that and particularly tough at the moment. As you say it sounds like sooner was better given the circumstances. All the best to you and yours through what I’m sure will be tough at times.
    I had an exciting day, I actually went to work to work. A little odd being the only one in an office that normally has 20 people in it. Did what I had to do so home again tomorrow.

Bit of a rarity V, someone who actually works in an office...I'm starting to forget what my office looks like and getting into the homeworking groove now. I reckon I'll be a bit teed off when I have to start getting up early again and using public transport.
  • tlw1
    Sad news LS
  • pinno
    Then who brings you the tea and biscuits VN?
    It must be hell.
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

Evening folks,

Bit of a rarity V, someone who actually works in an office...
    The work bit or the office bit?

• tlw1
    pinno said:

It must be hell.

Maybe has to make his own tea, but has all of the biscuits
  • pinno
    tlw1 said:

pinno said:

It must be hell.

But teaspoons can be so heavy and stirring can cause pain in the elbow and biscuit tin lids take herculean strength to remove and carrying scalding hot cups of tea can be...
  • tlw1
    pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

It must be hell.

But teaspoons can be so heavy and stirring can cause pain in the elbow and biscuit tin lids take herculean strength to remove and carrying scalding hot cups of tea can be...
    :) visited so many of our branches I now just use my fingers to remove the tea bag as less chance of germs - wife absolutely hates it when I do it at home
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    tlw1 said:

pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

It must be hell.

:) visited so many of our branches I now just use my fingers to remove the tea bag as less chance of germs - wife absolutely hates it when I do it at home
    Do this if in the tearoom downstairs, boiling water straight onto the teabag inflates it a little so it doesn't sink completely, makes fishing it out easier. No need today, the MD made my tea.
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Evening folks,

Bit of a rarity V, someone who actually works in an office...
    The work bit or the office bit?

In his case, both :)
  • pinno
    The problem with tea is...
    Dunking biscuits. I can get through so many biscuits, there's hardly any tea left. It's a fine art and i've near perfeced it. Dark Chocolate Hob Nobs - the dog's danglies of biscuits. Turns the tea brown.
    I hope the MD appreciates your effort, carrying the whole company from procurement, packaging, invoicing and dispatch on your shoulders whilst other people enjoy an extended holiday.
  • thistle_
    tlw1 said:

pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

It must be hell.

I do the same. People just use spoons and leave them on the counter expecting the teaspoon fairy to sort them out so there's never any clean ones anyway.
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2020
    Doh, wrong days thread...