Giant contend 1 tyre options

I have just bought a giant contend 1 2017 model, my first time going out and I get a puncture from a bump in the road which pinched the tube, is there a tyre or tube combination that will be better to prevent this happening again? Or will I be better off going for a bigger tyre and if so, does anyone know what size I could go up to? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Were your tyres inflated adequately? Not having enough air in the tyre is often a cause of pinch punctures.
  • Sorry forgot to mention, my tyres are Giant S-R4 700x25C
  • To be honest I didn’t check the pressures, so that could of been the reason why, I just gave them a squeeze and felt hard. Would it be worth trying wider tyres or do you think repair/replace the tube then have another go at the correct pressures? I’m new to road bikes with the narrow tyres, didn’t seem like it was that hard of a bump
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

To be honest I didn’t check the pressures, so that could of been the reason why, I just gave them a squeeze and felt hard. Would it be worth trying wider tyres or do you think repair/replace the tube then have another go at the correct pressures? I’m new to road bikes with the narrow tyres, didn’t seem like it was that hard of a bump

Replace the tube, no point spending far more money on new tyres.

I'd also buy a decent track pump if you don't already have one otherwise you'll get pinch punctures no matter what tyres you use.
  • Thanks joe and oxoman, I don’t have a track pump so will look at getting one and a new tube at the same time.
  • smethley
    smethley Posts: 45
    If you are 75kg, you will typically run 75/95 psi f/r on 25mm tyres. Less for 28s, more if you're heavier. You really need a pressure gauge; good track pumps have them built-in.
  • I’m about 70kg so guess something similar would suit me. I have been looking at different track pumps to see what have good reviews. I have a small hand pump which has a pressure gauge on it, I’m not sure how accurate it is though, it’s meant to be up to 120 PSI but it really struggles at 80 PSI, so both tyres are now at 80.