monday hallucinogens may soon be the only way out

'ning

coffee, nyt, wfh, meh
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, well much the same as last week, only ten more weeks to go, hopefully
    Have a good week
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Put the recycling out, neighbour lent me an extra bin 😳

Today work is Groundhog Day, later is probably a run. Kids are off so will change the working day dynamic somewhat
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    emergency wine delivery for mrs s arrives today, just dhl though, at crimbo she was delighted when the bubbly from bbr was delivered by one of the family (i wasn't there or i'd have been delighted too)

still got some of the king's ginger that i keep forgetting to imbibe for safety on cold days, may try their cocktail recipes, the king's fizz looks good

perhaps we should have a bb daily cocktail thread?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Meant to be working from home, but IT have changed my log on without telling me due to system changes. Hopefully I'll get a ride or run in before they sort it out.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    sungod said:

emergency wine delivery for mrs s arrives today...

Lucky Mrs S! I keep forgetting to make a wine order. Probably because I would just drink it all within minutes of arrival. Dunno whether my man is still up and running actually.

Ain't no spirits in the house, so can't join in with daily cocktails. My choice would be one from the following list though:
    A very cold, very dry martini with a couple of those nocellara olives;
    A champagne cocktail;
    A negroni;
    A Manhattan.

Sloo, thinking about drinking much too early now. Must. Do. Work.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Properly dry martini is lovely.

Way back when... I had a job as a cocktail barman. For the most part it consisted of making dreadful cream-polluted horrors for the office-girl set. Velvet Hammers, Pina Colada, Blue Lagoons, Brandy Alexanders. Yuk.

One that I used to like however was:

In LARGE balloon glass:
    - Cracked ice
    - 1.5 - 2 measures of Drambuie
    - 1 measure fresh lemon juice
    - 1 measure fresh orange juice
    - Top up with champagne (~ 4 measures)
    - Garnish to taste (I used mint and orange slice mostly)

Also like White Lady:

In cocktail shaker:
    - Ice
    - 1 part good gin
    - 1 part Cointreau
    - 1 part lemon juice
    - 1 tsp egg white (in bar, we used powdered but fresh also works)

Shake till chilled and a bit foamy. Strain into martini glass. Salted rim optional.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    tlw1 said:

Put the recycling out, neighbour lent me an extra bin 😳

Today work is Groundhog Day, later is probably a run. Kids are off so will change the working day dynamic somewhat

Our ferkin council have stopped taking away paper/bottles/tin/plastic recycling but they're still collecting general trash (and food waste). Guess where all the paper/ bottles/ tin/ plastic is going in the next collection...and we bought a big **** off wheelie bin to fit it all in, on top of our normal black bin.

More work stuff, at least it's keeping me busy. Looks like we didn't do too badly year just finished as we made it to the end with only 2 weeks of COVID crap. Although now having conversations about furloughing a few minions...

Lunch beckons.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

sungod said:

emergency wine delivery for mrs s arrives today...

Lucky Mrs S! I keep forgetting to make a wine order. Probably because I would just drink it all within minutes of arrival. Dunno whether my man is still up and running actually.

Ain't no spirits in the house, so can't join in with daily cocktails. My choice would be one from the following list though:
    A very cold, very dry martini with a couple of those nocellara olives;
    A champagne cocktail;
    A negroni;
    A Manhattan.

Sloo, thinking about drinking much too early now. Must. Do. Work.
    Actually that's another gripe for me. Got a £50 off Virgin Wines voucher with my PC World delivery last week. Great (especially as I'd only spent £15 at PCW), I thought and trotted off to the Virgin Wines website to cash it in: got a message saying that due to COVID-19, they can't honour any of these offers. Barstewards.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    To paraphrase Oscar Wilde...

To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

It looks like being a fairly crappy week.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Longshot said:

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde...

To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

It looks like being a fairly crappy week.

This sounds lousy. Best wishes for a good outcome Longshot.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Longshot
    Thank you but unlikely. I mentioned before that my Dad died about 2 months ago. My MIL is in hospital now not expected to last the day due to a sudden attack of leukemia of all things.

As you can imagine, the inability to say goodbye is causing much heartbreak within my wife's family.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Best wishes LS. These are tough times.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Longshot said:

Thank you but unlikely. I mentioned before that my Dad died about 2 months ago. My MIL is in hospital now not expected to last the day due to a sudden attack of leukemia of all things.

As you can imagine, the inability to say goodbye is causing much heartbreak within my wife's family.

:(
  • Stevo_666
    Very sorry to hear that LS, a truly sad situation.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Longshot said:

Best wishes LS
    Sometimes life is 5h1t
  • ballysmate
    Check in for our flights to Tenerife has opened today.
    Not gonna bother my 4r5e
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Yes, best wishes longshot, that's some sh1tty news. Take care.
  • ballysmate
    I see Adam Schlesinger has died.
    Never heard of him to be honest but a chance to watch a video with which most teenage lads could empathise.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-stacys-mom-songwriter-adam-schlesinger-dies-after-testing-positive-for-covid-19-11967210
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    But you will remember the song video though...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I knew the song (and video) but not the guys name. I didn't realise how old he was, I thought they were some boy band from the 2000s.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Longshot said:

All the best. Not a nice situation for anyone.
  • Longshot
    Thanks all - appreciated