Right leg turns inwards

Hi Guys,

So my cleats are set up identically, i.e, same angle and same distance between the centre of the cleat to the crank. For some reason my right knee turns inwards when I push hard. I also sometimes notice that my right heel turns inwards when I pull. I have LOOK KEO blade pedals with black cleats (0° float). There’s also some float for some reason even though I have black cleats. I’m thinking that the problem is that the right pedal’s tension is weaker than the left’s, so that’s why the knee goes inwards as float is greater. What do you think?

Thanks

Comments

• Not sure it’s the best idea to use cleat setup to force your leg into position as you risk twisting your knee. Maybe try insoles for more arch support... I use different shims on each foot to keep my knees in the correct position - works great.
  • mtbrider123
    mtbrider123 Posts: 102

Not sure it’s the best idea to use cleat setup to force your leg into position as you risk twisting your knee. Maybe try insoles for more arch support... I use different shims on each foot to keep my knees in the correct position - works great.

I’m not forcing my my leg into a specific position. That’s my actual position of the cleats. This problem started a couple of weeks ago, so that’s why I think it’s due to the weaker tension.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

Hi Guys,

So my cleats are set up identically, i.e, same angle and same distance between the centre of the cleat to the crank. For some reason my right knee turns inwards when I push hard. I also sometimes notice that my right heel turns inwards when I pull. I have LOOK KEO blade pedals with black cleats (0° float). There’s also some float for some reason even though I have black cleats. I’m thinking that the problem is that the right pedal’s tension is weaker than the left’s, so that’s why the knee goes inwards as float is greater. What do you think?

Thanks

I have the same pedal / cleat setup as you & what you describe there happens to me on occasions particularly the knee inwards as I find it brushes the top tube sometimes. I don't think the slight float helps cos as you say the black are supposed to be fixed & they clearly aren't.

Long story short I swapped from SPD-SL to Look last year, I ran the Blue 2 degree float & the same used to happen every now & again with them.

If I'm honest I just put it down to my riding style rather than anything to do with pedals or cleats. Could be wrong though.

• mtbrider123
    ibr17xvii said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

I have the same pedal / cleat setup as you & what you describe there happens to me on occasions particularly the knee inwards as I find it brushes the top tube sometimes. I don't think the slight float helps cos as you say the black are supposed to be fixed & they clearly aren't.

Long story short I swapped from SPD-SL to Look last year, I ran the Blue 2 degree float & the same used to happen every now & again with them.

If I'm honest I just put it down to my riding style rather than anything to do with pedals or cleats. Could be wrong though.

I had a look online and some websites say that it’s due to the pelvis rotation and some exercises are needed to strengthen the muscles. At this point it’s interesting to see what others think about this problem and the potential solution - specific exercises for the pelvis.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    If it only started a couple of weeks ago, did anything change in the setup before that point?
  • mtbrider123

If it only started a couple of weeks ago, did anything change in the setup before that point?

No, there was nothing before that. That's why I'm thinking that it's either the tension in the right pedal and/or pelvis. When I clip in without putting the shoes on (just the shoes clipped into the pedals), the angles look identical, i.e. one shoe is not turned right or left more than the other. However, the right shoe turns in more when I push hard, so my knee goes in. Weird situation, that's why I'm trying to find someone who had a similar problem.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    edited April 2020
    excessive pronation can cause it, which can differ left-right, and the effect can become more pronounced as force increases

simple check... barefoot, stand in front on a mirror, feet straight ahead not splayed

one leg at a time...

raise up on toes, slowly lower until flat again, watch what your ankle does, as weight returns to the heel does the ankle roll inwards? if it does, that's pronation, you might benefit from footbeds with extra arch support
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny